Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you everyone on the suggestions of how to deal with the cracks in my wood. I was able to use a clear glue and inject it into the cracks to give the wood extra stability without taking away from the beauty. I have now finished it with Tung Oil and Butcher Block conditioner. I was told the wood was Poplar but I’m not sure. Can anyone on here tell by the picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
That looks like Poplar to me. Spalting is pretty common in Poplar, and that first piece looks pretty nice!

Be aware that the color will significantly darken. It looks like it's already started. It is also relatively soft. I may be telling you something you already know...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Back tracking a bit, you seem to have some desire to do some woodworking. When you have time, Google some videos for making and using a Dutchman (bowtie). Get a scrap piece of wood, with a split/crack, and practice a Dutchman technique. At least get the feel, idea of installing one. It's not difficult and they can often help embellish an otherwise "defected" piece (project). George Nakashima projects are excellent inspiration.

Sonny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts