Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to make my son a very nice wooden tool box for Christmas. Anyone have experience with this as to type of wood, designs, drawer slides, construction, etc. Would greatly appreciate any ideas and sugguestions.

G Pankratz

·
Registered
353 Posts
How old is your son? Is this for a Young boy or a Man? What kind of Tools...Mechanic, Woodworker, Electrician??? Is it a Tote Box, Bench Top Box, Roll Around Box. Lot's of variables here!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. My son is 33 and is a R & D Technition for a large company. He has numerous tool boxes full of tools but i wanted to make him a special wood tool box for some of his expensive mesurering and electronic test instruments. Some thing on the order of the links FRANKC put out there.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
If it will be for specific equipment, it will really be helpful to have the equipment on hand as you design and build (or at least very precise measurements) so that you can really tailor the tool box or cabinet for them. Will this be a portable box or more of a permanent fixture in a shop for him?

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :thumbsup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used these plans to make my Mechanical Engineer Brother a chest for his measuring mic's etc several years ago. Its made from Hardboard Panels that's veneered with Birdseye maple and some regular BirdsEye maple lumber. It turned out very nice and the plans were very nice and easy to follow.

http://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/cabinetmakers-tool-chest/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I appreciate all them now i have to choose what i want to make.

GP:yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts