Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Another new guy here. I've talked my wife into letting me build our bathroom vanity with a raised panel design, but she wants the cabinets painted rather than stained. So I have three basic questions.

1. What are the best woods to use for painting? I've used Poplar before and it seems to work well. Any others?

2. What kind of paint do I use? I prefer the cleanup of latex and since I have to paint it in my heated garage, I don't want to fill the house with the oil smell. But what kind of latex?

3. My plan is to put an oil modified water based polyurethane to finish after painting. Is this a good idea/bad idea?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for the helpful information. I should have said that I prefer water based instead of using "Latex". I had actually looked up and found the Sherwin Pro-Classic online. Thanks for reaffirming that.

Fred, I know the wood has to be perfect. That's why I tried to talk her out of painting.

So I won't use a clear topcoat...unless she wants me to distress the paint. Then it's a different ballgame.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.