Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on how I would attach a small wood birdhouse 6"X 5" to a glass window. Must be strong, waterproof and at some point and time removeable. I have tried some cheap double face tape with no success, is there something stronger? Is there a super strong dble face tape? I am wide open to any thoughts. Thanks

·
Banned
382 Posts
Magnets. Mount a couple of them on the inside of the birdhouse, and a few more to hold it on the other side of the window. I'm not sure how many it would take, but stop at your local hobby store and you should be able to find packs of them pretty cheap.

·
7,222 Posts
Look for suction cup hangers. An example

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=67509&cat=2,10719,33068

This is the strongest double sided tape I have used to date. Works well for holding some small turning. I would not expect it to hold up well outside, especially as the temperature eventually warms up.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=49224&cat=1,110,43466

Another approach is adhesive caulk. The birdhouse needs to be supported while the caulk cures. Then it will need to be cut and removed with a razor blade.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
i would think that a thin bead of silicon caulk would do it, placed on surfaces that could be exposed to a putty knife to remove. have to be held in place unitl it dries tho. scotch makes a pretty tough double sided tape we hang signs with.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We have one on with suction cups. It has a backup brass wire that is attached above the window. The best suction cups eventually leak and have to have the suction reestablished.
I liked the possibility of the magnets but the forces involved are pretty high. The distance through a double pane window is a lot for magnet attraction. Maybe magnets ant thin wire or fishing line??

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
I think a suction cup would let go with changes in the temperature. I don't think birds would use it if hung by a wire where it moved. I believe silicone would work but I wouldn't want to be the one to clean it off when you are done with it. If it is a double hung window I would build the bird house with a panel that inserted in the window like a window unit air conditioner and close the window down on it.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Steve, the birds will definitely use it, even if hung by wire. We have one hanging from a tree branch by fishing line. Not one pair, but three different pairs of birds fought over it all last year and we eventually had multiple sets of hatchlings in front of our window.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, suction cups. My kid saw an ad on TV for something like this and wants me to build one. Sounds like a good father/son project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My daughter made the same request, as seen on TV. So I bought one just to see what it is, what a piece of junk. I made several out of pine with cedar shake roof and I am currently testing the suction cups. Also going to test Industrial Velcro and 3M Extreme double face tape ( I know the 3M product will work on glass, but it failed on wood, I was told to paint the surface and it will perform better, will test.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts