Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm re doing my countertop with ceramic tiles and wood trim along the edge....can I seal and cover the whole countertop with Varnish or shellac?
I want a shiny, thick, hard coat to protect the tiles/grout.
Thx!:icon_smile:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Varnish or shellac isn't going to adhere to tile. You may have to go to a pourable epoxy like you'd use for a bar top....but I don't know how good that will look...

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

Ceramic/porcelain tiles don't need a protective coating. A sealer can be used for any grout lines. You could though do a pour on epoxy.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Tile countertop needs no more protection than a dinner plate.

There's a silicone product which soaks into the grout lines and wateproofs them but good. Had a pro tile guy do the tub surround up to 84". Beautiful craftsmanship. I got to paint the grout lines 3X over a week. Gave new meaning to the word "tedious."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input.....I'll post pics once job is completed. I'm in the process of sanding and staining my kitchen cabinets. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts