Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to prevent wood tearing out on the end grain when i am turning a bowl? this has become a large problem for me. i am having to sand up to 1/8 inch to smooth out the marks.please help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
does anyone know how to prevent wood tearing out on the end grain when i am turning a bowl? this has become a large problem for me. i am having to sand up to 1/8 inch to smooth out the marks.please help.
I coat the wood with mineral oil, give it a try. Nothing to lose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tearout

i mainly use birch, black ash and hard maple. the tear out seems worse on dryer blanks so i will give the mineral oil a try.i usually buff the edges on my chisels to shaving sharp but i will try softer scraping cuts.thanks,tmr.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
All of the above but mostly it's using a sharp tool, possibly one with a more acute angle on the tip and then don't force the cut. My normal bowl gouge is sharpened at about 50 degrees. When I have tearout that is being finicky I switch to one with a 40 degree grind. If that doesn't work and I can still rub the bevel I use my detail gouge which has a 35 degree grind. If that doesn't work I switch to the Hunter #4 or #5 which have an effective tip angle of about 27 degrees.
Then I also lighten up on the cut trying my very best to slow down the feed rate so it's cutting rather than pushing through the cut.
Usually a wipe down with some paste wax helps. If I can tell from the start it's going to be a problem I'll rub some thinned lacquer on it. that firms up the fibers so they cut cleaner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts