Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you store you wood? Do you just leave them on the floor or did you build a storage cart? Let see some pictures.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mine hangs from the ceiling joists of my dry basement. It seems to dry/ acclimate at an even temperature and humidity level. Weather proof outdoor buildings with no climate control is fine for long term, but when It's time to plan out a project I'll bring it inside.

This holds most my 16' trim job extras, and yes it doubles nicely as a laundry hanger.
:yes:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yeah, mine did have one. When we moved in, the basement was already finished and I wasn't too crazy about the job the homeowner did with the tiles so I had very casually mentioned to my wife "that ceiling will have to go eventually"

Two days later I came home from work and she was wearing a Tyvek suit, goggles, bloodied hands and knee deep in ceiling tiles while standing in the dumpster in our driveway. She had that proud look on her face and I didn't have the heart to tell her eventually in man terms usually means a couple years.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife wouldn't know what a tyvek suit is. But sha does know her way around the checking account:(.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Thanks.

Yeah, one time I'd come home from a weekend of snowmobiling with friends to find she had cut down a 12" wide maple tree that was leaning a bit towards our house. She was smart enough to not try the chain saw and actually climbed a ladder and tied the tree to two other trees so that it didn't drop on the house. The neighbor came running over when he saw the tree swaying and helped her lower it.

She ended up using my brand new sawzall and a pack of new blades.:laughing:

The sap still has the whole thing all gummed up. Yeah, but I'll keep her.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If I am doing a large job it usually gets put on the floor next to my assembly table because its going to soon be cut into pieces parts.
I have a room off the side of my assembly room that I have built racks on either side for lumber storage.
Sorry I don't have any pics of this room.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don't know how high your ceiling is, but I built a vertical storage deal in my shop (11' ceiling) so I can store it against the wall. I keep it perpendicular to the wall so I can easily pull out whichever piece I need. Just have to keep it straight up and down so it doesn't bow.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I drilled holes in 2 X 4's mounted to the studs on the wall on a 3º angle, then put 1/2" black Iron pipe in them, I did that every 16" on center, and 2' vertically. Drilled right into the stud also. ..

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I store all my lumber under my 4x8 work table,out of the way and handy to get out. Joe

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Wood storage.

A project I have been meaning to get started on. Right now I have lumber stacked up against one wall, up against another wall, stacked up against a third wall, stacked on the floor in several areas of one part of my shop, and stacked on the floor of another area of my shop. Not too tidy. I have a project on the go to replace one wall of my enclosed compound with a new wall and some swing gates, and I must get that done before spring, so I can get the lawn tractor out to mow the grass. Some day I WILL get organised.

Gerry

1 - 20 of 34 Posts