Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting’s, I’m looking for input on product best for the buck if anyone has had experience with the resin and vacuum chambers process already?
Couldn’t pass it up because the wood is absolutely gorgeous.
I recently bought:

Sixteen (16) Maple bowl blanks. You will receive a mixture of Maple bowl blanks which may include clear, ambrosia, and/or spalted blanks. Each blank measures approximately 6 X 6 X 3″. There is no choice of blanks and numbers of each will vary with each pack. All blanks were processed green and completely sealed with Anchorseal.

I’m wanting to turn these into candy dishes for my children and understand if I want to have smooth surfaces I need to stabilize the wood.

I’m just an amateur woodworker so detail is best for me to follow along.

Thank You in Advance!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Greeting’s, I’m looking for input on product best for the buck if anyone has had experience with the resin and vacuum chambers process already?
Couldn’t pass it up because the wood is absolutely gorgeous.
I recently bought:

Sixteen (16) Maple bowl blanks. You will receive a mixture of Maple bowl blanks which may include clear, ambrosia, and/or spalted blanks. Each blank measures approximately 6 X 6 X 3″. There is no choice of blanks and numbers of each will vary with each pack. All blanks were processed green and completely sealed with Anchorseal.

I’m wanting to turn these into candy dishes for my children and understand if I want to have smooth surfaces I need to stabilize the wood.

I’m just an amateur woodworker so detail is best for me to follow along.

Thank You in Advance!!!

View attachment 422601
I'm waiting for someone who knows what they are talking about to respond. I'm trying to figure this out myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm waiting for someone who knows what they are talking about to respond. I'm trying to figure this out myself.
The crack would probably be good with resin but the rough areas???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you tried putting mineral oil or dampening the wood in the rough areas? Then sanding. It works most of the time.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I don’t have a lot of experience, but I’d say it depends on how punky it is. I just turned a piece of spalted tamarind that seemed solid, but after I turned it, I wish that I had stabilized it first.

IMHO, Cactus Juice is the best. It’s easy to use and Curtis provides great support.

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,525 Posts
Cactus juice is good but you will need a good vacuum pump, an oven dedicated to the job and a tank big enough for a few roughed bowls. Its best to turn the bowls to a rough size first, bake them completely dry then stabilize them. I say this because the juice is $80+ a gallon and you done want to waste it on massive amounts of wood thats gets discarded. Any moisture in the wood will drive resin back out when heated for curing. Theres complete instructions and equipment for sale on the TurnTex website. Woodcraft also sells alternate brands to do the same thing.
If you are only going to be stabilizing this one project it may be better to use something like Minwax Wood Hardener that just soaks in and drys. Its not a deep stabilizing fix like Cactus Juice but way cheaper and you would really only need it for the spalted wood. The ambrosia and clear maple likely will only need a poly finish on them and maybe a bit of epoxy to plug the ambrosia bug holes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried putting mineral oil or dampening the wood in the rough areas? Then sanding. It works most of the time.
It's worth a try..Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts