Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making a Greene & Greene inspired small kitchen island for my brother and his wife. The red will be padauk (which I already have) and the traditional ebony plugs will be substituted for padauk as well. I was thinking maple for the top and the bottom shelf and cherry or ashe for the body.

Suggestions welcome as I am a newer woodworker and have never made something to this scale, nor used any of these woods before!:laughing:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would use either all cherry or all maple with the padauk. The ash grain would be a bit to much in contrasting texture. The maple may be the better choice as the cherry will darken over time and take away from the padauk. Jmo

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would use either all cherry or all maple with the padauk. The ash grain would be a bit to much in contrasting texture. The maple may be the better choice as the cherry will darken over time and take away from the padauk. Jmo
Ah see and I didn't even know cherry will darken. Awesome, I love the knowledge I encounter here!

Looks like I'll keep leaning toward the maple unless someone's got another suggestion to help me continue to be indecisive. :laughing:

·
7,222 Posts
If you were not aware that many wood species get darker with exposure to air and or UV, you may not appreciate Padauck is a nice bright orange red when sanded, but will soon become a dark muddy deep red-brown colour, which I do not find attractive.

If you want a stable red colour, consider bubinga instead of padauk.

I love cherry. It will become darker, but I like the deep orange tones. Personal preference.

If you want the wood to stay lighter colour, then ash, hickory or hard maple.

FYI "soft" maple is one of several species. This site has a good explanation on the differences between hard and soft maple.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cabinetman - I'll look at how I can resize it, sorry about that! It took me the better part of 20 mins just to figure out how to imbed the picture, I hadn't given any thought to resizing.

Dave - Thanks for the helpful feedback. I am aware that I should expect the padauk to oxidize with age and brown up. I don't really mind the dark brown it turns, and if that happens I'm okay with it. However I am planning on using a flooding epoxy to seal the top and poly for the body. From what I've been seeing/reading that tends to protect it from oxidation as long as the item isn't heavily UV oxidized (which my "clients" live in the Seattle area so no worries there, haha). Have you found this to be true? Thanks for the link as well, I'll check that out now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.