Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been recruited by my neighbor to help him build a kitchen shelf thing. I'm looking for a place I can source already milled solid true 2x2 posts that are 36" tall. Poplar species. I'll either take them by shipping or local to Atlanta.

I would glue them up and mill them down, but I don't have a planer or jointer.

·
Registered
26,656 Posts
You might see if a local cabinet shop would get you some 12/4 poplar and run it S4S for you. Sometimes 8/4 is thick enough to get 2" but you would have to pick it out in the rough to find a board about 2 1/8" thick. Most of the time 8/4 is barely 2" thick.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, after some quick internet searching I found some stuff that is 1 13/16" thick. That may work fine.

·
where's my table saw?
28,163 Posts
which?

I'm looking for a place I can source already milled solid true 2x2 posts that are 36" tall.
Yeah, after some quick internet searching I found some stuff that is 1 13/16" thick. That may work fine.
How did you get from 2" true down to 1 13/16" ? Just curious.... :blink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I personally don't have any means to mill raw lumber down to true 2x2. I don't own a planer or jointer. Most of the places around the Atlanta metro area do not carry anything thicker than 2" rough. So, after it has been planed down in thickness...it comes out to 1 13/16". So, sadly, I have to go with what is readily available.

I'll eventually have a planer...one day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts