Woodworking Talk banner
4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  FiveOneSix 
#1 ·
Our home’s basement measures 30ft by 60ft. On one of the 30′ft walls are two garage doors and an entry door. The garage originally occupied half the basement space (30X30). In the other half was a laundry room, oil burner room and a semi-finished rec room.
Anyway, we worked in the garage area for almost three years before I got around to ‘claiming more space’ for us.
We moved the washer and dryer into the oil burner room and created a small office adjacent to that by simply removing a wall from one spot ( to enlarge the shop) and adding another (to separate an office from the rest of the shop). We managed to assign 3/4ths of the basement for the shop this way.

This was not a load bearing wall so installing a header was not necessary

Adding this wall created a small office / slide window to go in opening

Each machine must have accessibility , a power supply nearby, good overhead lighting and clearance before and after (16ft plus).

orange power line comes from table saw (out of picture) to the right where you see it sit within a groove cut in the cement floor

The machines also need to be positioned so that the work being fabricated moves from one place to the next without having to cris-cross the entire shop back and forth. Right behind one of the garage doors we created a four tier, horizontal sheet goods storage area (like the lumber yards have). We also positioned our two, 10ft work benches according to to the same logic.

furniture grade plywood comes in (storage rack/in back)... hand-made kitchen cabs (behind me) ready to leave

two benches, wood vices (hidden), drawers for power hand tools, power outlets overhead, good lighting, notice clamp rack on rollers

When I sat down to establish the positions of all the (stationary) machines, it dawned on me that I could create a ‘to scale’ floor plan and make cardboard cut-outs of the machines much like interior designers do when arranging furniture in a room for their clients. The less space you have to work with, the more critical this floor planning becomes.

I could try out many different arraignments of the machines this way / note smaller drawing of cabinets in office

The most important tool in the shop is the table saw. We have a 12", 5 HP, left-tilting table saw for ripping solid stock and sheet goods. We permanently surrounded it with out-feed tables (surface measures 80 by 86 now). I can’t begin to tell you how helpful this large surface is. It is ideal if you can establish 8ft of clearance to the left and right and 16ft before and after your main table saw.

the heavier the machine, the less vibration, the better the cut... and it's safer

As well, I took my Delta contractor’s saw, added a slider box and it became our cross cutting saw (a good cross cutting blade is left on it / no blade change). The power coming into the house was upgraded to 250 amps, an additional fuse box was added and we wired almost every motor for 220V, single phase.

my eldest son assembling a mantle

my youngest aside a walnut English writing desk he built

We have two chop saws mounted against the walls with 8 ft+ shelves on either side, a 12" jointer, a 20" planer, floor stand drill press, double 7ft bag dust collection system, shaper table, spindle sander, two large band saws and a Grass hinge boring / line boring unit. As well, we have a bunch of hand tools (both power and regular) and every wall is ‘surfaced’ with tools and old cabs and drawers and with… with… well, you know… every damn thing a guy needs to make cabinets and furniture.

We set this Hitachi (and dust collection) within the wall to allow boards/molding being crosscut to sit right against the wall and the supporting shelf need only occupy 12" of (valuable) space along the wall.

Once I committed to the placement of all the equipment, we ran lights over every 'work station'.
I even managed to paint the (concrete) floor before placing everything (makes sweeping much easier) but it didn’t take long before it wore through. (Reminds me, I gotta do it again.) If I had more room, I’d probably purchase a lathe and a stroke sander.

you can tell we didn't dress this up for a photo shoot / hard to keep it swept, much less pretty !

I tried to 'seal' the office from the fine wood dust that manages to find it’s way into fax machines, printers, etc. even though I have dust collection.
I installed a small sliding window into the wall dividing the office and work shop so I could see/ communicate with my two sons who work with me.
The office (a must if you feed your family this way), has two computer stations, good drafting lights, hanging file drawers, pencil drawers, a printer roll-out shelf, Homasote (like cork) lining two walls (to push pin paperwork to) and book shelves. The door and drawer fronts were left over from different jobs and we built the cabinets 'to suit'.

though there never seems to be enough desk surface, it's a good place to work

hard to show entire shop in one shot

I had another shop before this one and what knowledge I’ve gained is from having done every single thing wrong, at least once, before.
Like well-made furniture, some things just take time.
Hope this helps the next guy who’s planning his own wood shop.

Our website has a large gallery of our work. Check it out if you’d like.

Russell Hudson /http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice shop that looks like you're producing some nice work. I hate to be the first to say it, but you'll never pass an OSHA inspection, though. No dust collection, no safety guard, no eye protection, or ear protection, and no respirator mask of any kind, and no push stick. I hope your insurance is good. ;)

#7 · (Edited)
No dust collection? Really?

Nice shop that looks like you're producing some nice work. I hate to be the first to say it, but you'll never pass an OSHA inspection, though. No dust collection, no safety guard, no eye protection, or ear protection, and no respirator mask of any kind, and no push stick. I hope your insurance is good. ;)
It was mentioned at least 2 times in the text and shows in the photo attached to the jointer and planer and another showing a 2 stage collector and a shop vac and a long haired dog (4 legged dust collector). Safety guards do not seem to be a priority, "removed for the photographs" I assume. :laughing: I wouldn't suit up in respirators and dust masks for the photos either...:no: I give the guys credit for not only making the best of the basement space, having had a basement shop 30 years ago myself, but getting the whole family in the operation. ;) bill

#12 ·
It was mentioned at least 2 times in the text and shows in the photo attached to the jointer and planer and another showing a 2 stage collector and a shop vac and a long haired dog (4 legged dust collector). Safety guards do not seem to be a priority, "removed for the photographs" I assume. :laughing: I wouldn't suit up in respirators and dust masks for the photos either...:no: I give the guys credit for not only making the best of the basement space, having had a basement shop 30 years ago myself, but getting the whole family in the operation. ;) bill
I stand corrected. I didn't read any of the text, to be honest. I do say the pic of someone actually "using" the TS looks like it's running, to me, but I'll believe Russell when he says it's "contrived" for a photo shoot.

Hell, I wasn't even trying to belittle the shop at all, just a little good natured ribbing based on all the threads we seem to have where someone jumps up and complains that "XYZ safety device isn't being used and it's irresponsible to show such things in a public forum.. blah blah blah". I personally don't use any of the safety covers on my TS, even though I know I should in most cases. Ear and eye protection I use religiously, though.

Mostly it looks to me like a great shop to work in and I'd be happy if it were mine. :)

#6 ·
"knowledge I’ve gained is from having done every single thing wrong, at least once"

Yeah, I moved my shop around quite a few times before I finally gave in to doing scale cutouts. I made mine big enough to account for space needed to operate the machine safely, not just the exact machine footprint. I'm going to move my shop to another location again next month so thanks for posting all the pics, helps give me ideas.

#8 ·
I agree wtih Bill, they didn't look like action shots. The only thing that scares me is the two 3/4 pipe clamps in photo five attached to the joinst on the ceiling. Yikes that would hurt if they vibrated loose from people walking around upstairs or what have you! Really nice shop, thanks for sharing!

#9 ·
Correct me if wrong........

But because they're his youngins he dosn't "have" to give them a 1099.And also falls outside of OSHA jurisdiction.Splitting hairs,maybe?

Nice shop,little dusty...but nice.And the relationship you're building with the youngins is one they'll never forget.Best,BW

#10 ·
responding to responces

Thanks for the kind words, Gentlemen.
Nice working with my sons. Can't 'fire 'em' as easily when they screw up, but the loyalty is golden.
-Pipe clamps are torqued-down on a single joist / ain't goin' anywhere.
-Wood Shop News just did an article on us (Feb edition) and took a bunch of shots but none we're 'action' shots. Shot of me at the table saw was also contrived (for a blog or something?).
-We use push sticks, dust masks when sanding, still having trouble getting them to use eye protection, ear protection usually, use the saw's surface as a table so often that removing a guard each time makes me crazy (though not a good excuse).
-DID plan for movement around machines w/ cardboard cut-outs
Had to laugh when JohnK007 saw the tape on the outfeed wheel adjust. Please leave the damn thing alone. (One of my sons has to do everything differently whether it's right or wrong / reminds me of me)

Thanks again, guys...

#13 ·
and i don't mean condoms!...

come on now...how many of us actually use all safety and protection devices? "oooo taboo".
i do use eye protection with any use of a tool...but im gonna be deaf soon anyway (12 years in a national touring band in super loud clubs 6 day a week haha). i'd give up my hearing if i could do it for another 12 years!
i love when people give me crap for not going to college instead haha. ipod is just as loud as any machine haha

but i digress (fancy words mmm)...in the shops i worked at, the only time the blade guards were in place was inspection day. the boss would be like "so yea maybe we should keep the guards in place from now on"...they were off the next day. always doing rabbets and cross cuts so it was a pain.
so do i dare ask...how many use guards? i dont, especially because the 2 most uses of my saw can't be done with guards in place. oh well!

NICE SHOP MY MAN!!! one question...whats the FULL story of the pipe clamps on the floor joists? hahahaha :shifty:

#14 ·
come on now...how many of us actually use all safety and protection devices? "oooo taboo".
i do use eye protection with any use of a tool...but im gonna be deaf soon anyway (12 years in a national touring band in super loud clubs 6 day a week haha). i'd give up my hearing if i could do it for another 12 years!
i love when people give me crap for not going to college instead haha. ipod is just as loud as any machine haha

but i digress (fancy words mmm)...in the shops i worked at, the only time the blade guards were in place was inspection day. the boss would be like "so yea maybe we should keep the guards in place from now on"...they were off the next day. always doing rabbets and cross cuts so it was a pain.
so do i dare ask...how many use guards? i dont, especially because the 2 most uses of my saw can't be done with guards in place. oh well!

NICE SHOP MY MAN!!! one question...whats the FULL story of the pipe clamps on the floor joists? hahahaha :shifty:
five one six? that's the area code. I grew up on Long Island, Seaford to be exact / moved an hour north of the city / a little more woods up here like back in the 50's on L.I. / tryin' to turn the clock back a bit, I guess
thanks for the words

#15 ·
Strong Island...

haha i was right next door...grew up in massapequa. i miss Long Island so much...especially ALL AMERICAN, MMMMMM. can't wait to move back! (FiveOneSix) is the name of my company. 631 dudes got nothin on us! :yes:
haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.