Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 X 20 2 car garage I am getting ready to set up as a shop. I just retired and I have some equipment and we be buying some. I am looking for ideas from you pro's on how and what to put in this shop. I have no windows and 2 overhead doors with a man door going into the house. It is dry walled and painted white. I have a few outlets all 110. It has high ceilings with 2 lights. Tell me where to start and what to do. I only want to do this one time.
Thanks

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
What type of work do you intend to do?

What large tools do you have and what do you intend to buy?

Is the wood shop the only thing that will be housed in this area?

et., etc., etc.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you want any larger tools in the future, add 220V circuits now. Add more lights. You can get them pretty cheap at big box stores for $40 or so per fixture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a Drill Press, Band Saw, Miter Saw with a long Table, Work Bench, Work Table, Router, Bench Grinder, Air compressor, and a small lathe is about it. I will need a Table Saw, Dust Collection, Jointer, Planer in the future.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The idea (IMO) is to arrange things according to your work flow. Table saw should be near one of the overhead doors so material can be off loaded and cut to size before going into the shop. Band saw should also go near a door so long material can be worked easily. Space should also be designated for lumber storage for both new stock at 8 to 10 foot lengths as well as cut offs and scraps.

Other than those two things, the rest depends on what your personal preference happens to be.

You can never have enough light. Plan on at least one fixture over each machine and several others around the shop for general lighting like over a bench.

Adding a 240 circuit should also be considered just in case you find a machine that needs it at a price that is too good to pass by (220 table saws last longer and seem to work easier than the same saw with a 120v motor). Unless you are very familiar with local codes and procedures, always hire a licensed electrician when making changes to the house's electrical system.

·
Registered
994 Posts
As you start collecting accessories for each tool, work to have a way to store them as close to the tool they'll be used with. Drill bits near the drill. Router bits near the router. Saw blades, jigs, push sticks near the saw. The handiest accessory I've made for my shop lately is a vertical rolling scrap bin. Thinking about making a similar cart for specific project parts, but as the projects vary I haven't settled on a universal design for such that I like yet. Probably a lipped shelf to keep associated hand tools on, a drawer to keep hardware in for the project, a top that is easy to clean and can be clamped to around the perimeter. Hooks/shelves/whatever to keep individual part contained as they are produced. Big locking casters to roll easily.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Grizzly.com has a workshop planner on it that you can mess around with for layout.

Or, you can use sketchup.

Pick out a place and dedicate it to Lumber/sheet goods storage. Build/buy a rack for it and keep it organized.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You might want to check on your electrical outlets. I started out working in a 2 car garage. It had 3 outlets. All 110 v. The problem was it was a 15 amp circuit. I tripped the breaker several times operating a router table and dust collector. I started running a drop cord from the 20 amp outlets in the kitchen before I build a shop.
Tom
P.S. I did add 220 V to the garage for the table saw and band saw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 20 X 20 2 car garage I am getting ready to set up as a shop. I just retired and I have some equipment and we be buying some. I am looking for ideas from you pro's on how and what to put in this shop. I have no windows and 2 overhead doors with a man door going into the house. It is dry walled and painted white. I have a few outlets all 110. It has high ceilings with 2 lights. Tell me where to start and what to do. I only want to do this one time.
Thanks
Sounds like my first shop. One of the best things I ever did in that 20x20 space was to put everything on casters. In fact even in my present shop I still keep most machines on casters. That way you can wheel a machine outside to use and keep the dust under control. If you don't have a dust collector, I'd advise you to get one for those days when the doors must stay closed. Beyond that it will depend on what projects you want to tackle as to what tools you should get. I'd wait as long as possible on such purchases until you know exactly what you need a new machine for. If you can't answer that question...keep your money in your wallet and get by with what you have until you can answer that question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts