Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
So true, in the winter I have no scraps as I heat with wood, I even cut up pallets. NOW, OMG, my shop is covered as I hate to throw it out, I know that I can use it, wood cost money and ti hate to lose it. I have it piled everywhere.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Every so often I burn the scrap pile. Guess wat within a couple of weeks I need some of it. So usually the workshop gets smaller and the scrap pile gets bigger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is wood scrap?????:laughing:
Good point... I find myself asking the same question.

I see it as unused opportunity that I, as a wood worker, has failed to see.

Recently I started a Pipe from a beat up piece of African Burl that was kicked around my shop for years.

Smaller pieces and Exotics I've made:
pistol grips
knife handles
inlay strips
Tap Handles (currently working on one)
Pipes (currently working on one)
Vehicle Emblems
plates
bowls

Larger pieces of scrap
cutting boards
tools and jigs (most of my inexpensive scrap)
dinner trays
picture frames (this one works great as gifts)
Garden trellis
Hops post
planter boxes

On another note I have recently decided to trow my saw dust into a composter to make dirt for my garden.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
My morning drink is sitting on a coaster I made from scrap maple and walnut strip. :thumbsup:

And then there is my thread posted recently...
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/2-x-4-scraps-repurposed-98033/

It has inspired several other folks to do the same or something similar.

Use it, don't chunk it.

Simple bread boards, coasters, cutting boards (if you have the right wood for them)...and of coarse, crates.

Note: I didn't make the actual crate for the wine rack pictured below. I bought it and added the custom innards to hold the bottles and glasses.

I will make the entire thing next time out of scrap 2x4 material and some pine for the thicker end pieces.

Edit: I forgot Steph's cosmetic holder. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
probably not a good idea to burn treated wood scraps though, they go in the trash.
Today's treated wood is just basically salt treated.
Okay to burn.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
MT Stringer said:
My morning drink is sitting on a coaster I made from scrap maple and walnut strip. :thumbsup:
Ahh, I long for those days when I can start the day with a morning drink..... Lol!

I make a lot of various crates & candle holders from my scraps, too. I've also done a lot of glue-ups that became fancy firewood....

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Ahh, I long for those days when I can start the day with a morning drink..... Lol!
Yep. I'm retired, so I start my day at the crack of ten AM! :eek: Today, it was a bottle of water spiked with Advocare Spark! :yes: I start every day like this. I don't normally drink coffee. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
53 Posts
There's scrap, and there's scrap... Anything 2x2" of better gets thrown in 40 gallon trash can. I recently face gluing scrap and making little bandsaw projects.

Anything smaller goes to the wood burning pizza oven ;)

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Fancy firewood....

The new rule in my shop: hardwood has to be 1/2" by 2" by 12" minimum (except if purchased specifically for a project), or it burns.

Softwood has to be a minimum of 3/4" by 3 1/2" by 24", or it burns-- excepting what is already in the work pipeline.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have made quite a few of these with lots of my scraps. They made a small dent in my scrap pile, now it is just as big as it was before.

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's my latest scrap project. Couple srcap pieces of 4/4 poplar and some maple ply glued up. Once I get a hole bored in the top it'll be a little cactus planter.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts