Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pack rat when it comes to saving scrap, especially hardwood... I get upset every time I have to move a box to get to something, and vow to sort it and throw out some.... But I never do.... It just keeps piling up...
What are you guys ideas on this ?? I can't be the only one struggling .....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a lathe, yet.... But that a good point....
I have plans for a RAS table to the right of the saw, and was thinking of making shelves for scrap....
But when that's full, I'm back where I started.....

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Funny, am in the process of moving shop, figuring out what scraps to keep to keep is a nightmare!
When I moved to another country i was heartbroken over all the exotic stuff I had to leave behind.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'm with ya....I've got a whole shelf of cut offs I can't part with. Anything too small or thin goes in my burn box, I have the most expensive fires in the city when I have one....all hardwood scraps. I do have to say the smoke and embers really are cut down on when burning kiln dried hardwood....kinda a nice side benefit.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
if you heat with wood, or know someone that does, the problem goes away very quickly. at the shop we sell boxes full of kindling for $3.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
A friend worked for a packaging company and gave me some large strong plastic bags that their bulk supplies came in, I fill them over time with my small scraps, then take a bag with us when we go camping, great for getting the campfire going.

Realistically I have found that there are usually more scraps than one can ever use and they are not worth the space they take up.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Mine is mostly rift sawn oak cutoffs, some maple.....anyone wanting some can have it for the cost of the flat rate box. I've got more than I know what to do with.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I have 2 kids. I took a bunch of my scrap wood sanded it down and made some blocks and different shapes. It's amazing what they have built.

·
Drafting Teacher
114 Posts
Over a third of the back of my garage is stacked with hardwood and cedar scraps I've collected over the past 13 years. That make me a horder??? I just can't stand to get rid of them thinking I'll need something from it sooner or later?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Timothy said:
Over a third of the back of my garage is stacked with hardwood and cedar scraps I've collected over the past 13 years. That make me a horder???
Yes. It make me one too.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
if you heat with wood, or know someone that does, the problem goes away very quickly. at the shop we sell boxes full of kindling for $3.
probably not a good idea to burn treated wood scraps though, they go in the trash.

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Some of the wood turners on here would probably buy a flat rate box worth for a small fee.

Curtis
That is a great idea, but not worth the effort on my end to spend time dealing with who wants what, contact and mailing info, getting the boxes, packaging them, labeling them and then taking them to the post office.

My time is far from cheap or free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wood scraps can always be used for something; I built a shed in my back yard with a 12/12 pitch roof just for wood scraps.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I keep tons of scraps. But since we had our fire circle built I've burned about two medium fiberboard drums full. I'm still very picky about what I will and won't burn. But I've realized that saving piles of tiny and odd-shaped bits of pine and cedar and miniscule portions of walnut and oak just doesn't prove to be of much use to me. Though anything of size enough to use as drill or saw backers are saved (and used, then burned once too pitted).

Now, exotics (ebony, rosewoods, purple heart, and so on) are things I often DO use in very small bits. So, little scraps of those woods are worth my saving and I'm much tighter fisted with them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts