Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone......so i've been thinking about getting a few magazine subscriptions to wood related publications.....

I am looking for magazines with tool reviews and process or technique items. I'm not really looking for project plans as i've always designed and drafted my own projects.

Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I used to get several. Some of them got ad heavy. Some of them... Woodworking, Woodsmith, Wood, Shopnotes, and Architectural Digest. Some of the articles were interesting, but on the whole on the boring side. Reading the forums is entertaining enough. There is a free online magazine, but I can't remember the name of it.

Now, I get Soldier of Fortune, VFW, Stars and Stripes, and several car magazines.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It's a personal choice, and everyone has their favorites. Mine are Wood, Woodsmith, and PWW. What I suggest is you check out a few different issues at the library, borrow some from friends, or (worse case) buy some at the newstand. Review them and see which fit your personal interests. What I've found is that after a long time, you start seeing the same stuff show up over and over; that includes the "shop tips" section, which normally on of my favorite sections.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I used to subscribe to a few... now I have ShopNotes because they focus on techniques and their "projects" are pretty much shop related. Another thing I like is that they have no adds.

Like Fred said, most begin to repeat themselves after a while... even ShopNotes. And like Cabinetman said - these forums are great resource.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
There've been a few of these threads recently. I'm mostly a hand-tool user, so my bias is away from magazines that assume you have a table saw, bandsaw, chop saw, and router table: take my advice for what it's worth. Here are the ones I have experience with:

Popular Woodworking: The only one I get I'm going to renew this year. They lean pretty heavily towards hand tool work these days, but not 100%. I like the projects they do. I wish they had fewer ads, but that's how they keep their subscription prices down.
Shop Notes: If you're just getting started building a shop and you're going with power tools, subscribe to Shop Notes. My subscription runs out soon, and I won't be renewing. It's a great magazine, no ads, and good detail on the projects, but they haven't shown anything I wanted to build in a while.
WoodSmith: Same publisher as Shop Notes. Again, it's a great magazine, but I won't be renewing. They're one of the "all powertool all the time" magazines, and I'm tired of that. I may re-subscribe at some point, though, because they do have a lot of projects that I like; I'd just have to completely re-work all the joints to account for my different tools.
Fine Woodworking: I'm thinking of subscribing. Lots of ads, but a good mix of hand- and power-tool projects. I've recently found that their editing leaves something to be desired, but I still like the projects they offer.
Wood: I'm not a fan. Their articles don't mostly do anything for me, but that's a personal disagreement. I don't really have anything bad to say about them.
American Woodworker: I like their projects, but I dropped my subscription a year or so ago. They're not bad, but there wasn't much I wanted to build in the magazine.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Woodsmith, Shopnotes, Fine wood working are very good for beginners and high skilled wood workers -also offers good tool reviews. .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Finewoodworking is great if you get the deal on the combo with the website membership. Absolutely tons of great articles on there.

For not so expensive, not so project heavy - I agree with above. Shopnotes is the best out of all of them that I've tried. Also comes off as more of "light reading", which I like for the most part.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
There are a couple deals that are out there that you might want to look at rather than magazines. I used to Woodsmith, Shopnotes and Fine Wood Working. Iam letting all those expire but I will continue online subscription to FWW and if it is still available I might get the online archives to Shop Notes (I think this is a one time charge). But after a couple years the paper mags get very repetitive or in some cases they are just weird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts