Woodworking Talk banner

Wood Putty- Did I screw up?

59K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Steve Neul 
#1 ·
I bought some MINWAX Wood putty and filled a crack. Now I decided to read the directions to find out how long it takes to dry and it says “Will not harden to a sandable surface”. :huh::eek:
What the heck does that mean and if it can’t be sanded than what is this used for?

#2 ·
That's a finishing filler. It's used after all the finishing is done. It's like a waxy putty that you rub into nail holes and small cracks. It's available in many colors to match stains or natural finish. It can be mixed with other colors for matching. It comes in pen like shapes, sticks, and in small bottles.

#4 ·
That's a good question. Mineral spirits will dissolve it but imbed it into the wood fibers. It's very possible real wood putty won't adhere to it once you get it cleaned out. Then what is on the surface may interfere with the finish. If the project is important I would replace the board.

#6 ·
Went on line to MINWAX for a solution and they just say clean with soap & water so I scrubbed it with hot soapy water and a stiff bristle brush, but it was dry bare wood. There is absolutely no sealer or finish whatsoever on the wood and it soaked up a huge amount of water.

I guess I’ll have to leave it out in the sun to dry for a couple of weeks and then sand the hell out of it. I just hope all my Titebond doesn’t come apart in the meantime.

This crap is going right in the garbage because I don’t want it anywhere near my shop.:thumbdown:

#7 ·
They must have reformulated the Minwax wood putty since I bought any. What I have is a solvent based product. It sounds like what you have is water based. Sunlight and wood are not a good idea especially this time of year. It can cause the wood to warp. I think it will be dry enough by tomorrow morning to work with. Your glue joints should be alright. I frequently strip furniture and rinse it with water and it doesn't hurt it. Overnight drying and it's good to go.

#8 ·
This is what I bought for a finish:

Do you think I can clean some more with Mineral spirits after it dries. I would like to fill some bad spots with filler, but I can probably let it go as long as I can at least put on a good finish.

#12 ·
It is a oil base product.....look at a can after it's been opened and aged..the oil seperates out. Tech is wrong or misunderstood what's happened. You can use soap and water MAYBE if prior sealed wood BUT NOT now. As Cabinetman mentioned it's an after finish filler. Stain will not cover this very well since it's in the wood fibers now according to pics. They do make a prefinish wood filler in light and dark that dries quickly and sands easily. You've done crossed the fence so to say.
Cabinet man or Steve...would denatured alcohol help dry this out enough to maybe save the project from a rebuild????
Sorry to see you go through this BUT I done the exact same thing in my beginning 25-30 yrs ago.

Reactions: Sleeper
#13 ·
Cabinet man or Steve...would denatured alcohol help dry this out enough to maybe save the project from a rebuild????
Sorry to see you go through this BUT I done the exact same thing in my beginning 25-30 yrs ago.
I would like to see exactly what he has and what was done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.