Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am new to this forum and glad that I found it. I have been working on a room in my basement for 4 months now and made a bit of a mistake when I applied the polyurethane. The problem was that it was too shiny and I didnt' like it so I decided to sand it off. I also had an issue when I tried to sand it between coats with a 400 grit sandpaper, the stain would come up with it. I am now sanding as much of the poly and stain that I can with a 100 grit paper and will probably sand again with 180 and 220. I am going to be using an oil based Benjamin Moore stain that is dark enough to cover any imperfections that I may have after sanding off the old coat.
My question is what kind of finish would you all recommend? I am looking for a satin look and would hate to risk sanding off the finish if I apply poly and have to sand between coats.
I did a search and it seems a lot of people like lacquer but I'm not familiar with it. I plan on applying 2-3 coats of stain this weekend and would like to put something on top of it by next week sometime.

Any advice would be appreciated.....btw, it's all oak wood that I'm working with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I personally like Laquer. I would use a sanding sealer, let that dry for about an hour then sand with a fine sandpaper then apply a coat of Satin Laquer. A sprayer is your best bet for applying it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts