Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am very new at this and am trying to add a decorative element to my backyard. i have a cinder block wall, and my landscape guy tried attaching douglas fir 1x10x10. With two days of rain, they warped, split, and look awful. I have realized he doesn't know what he is doing and I am have to figure this out myself. Any suggestions of the right wood to use? He also was installing with nails, and not using cement glue.

I rally appreciate any suggestions and help.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,372 Posts
I wouldn't have put the boards directly on the block. I would have put furring strips on the blocks and then put western cedar on it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
although there are some things the lanscape guy could've done to improve the installation, you are seeing a dramatized affect of weather and wood. Believe me I love wood, but the outdoors is never kind to wood, at least here in pa. I would have to want it pretty bad to make an outdoor wall of it, and be ready for maintenance.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Your pictures are very hard to see because they are rotated.

Steve has it right. First use furring strips. Then hang the wood of choice. Even wit Western Cedar you are probably going to have some wood movement problems.

Was any protective finish used?

George

·
Registered
303 Posts
Treated outdoor privacy fencing would have been my choice. These come in sections around 6 ft. wide and are already attached to "furring strips"

Doesn't hurt to apply some kind of outdoor waterproofer even if they are pressure treated. You could also paint the cinder block black or a dark color before attaching the fencing.

Important to have a furring strip (a gap) so moisture can weep away.

Or maybe just use some kind of stucco over the block in the color of your choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts