Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is new lumber, bought from a local supplier where it is stored inside.. I bought it 2 weeks ago and it has been in my garage since. SW Florida = high humidity.

This wood was machined in the last few days and the staining was not there when I cut it. It is not affecting all the wood, only a few random pieces.

What is it? What do I do? JIm
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
7,222 Posts
Your picture files may be too large for the site size constraints. You may need to resize the files.

Sounds like mold but pictures will help others to give a diagnosis.

If it is mold, just spray with Chlorox and wipe off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know, Gremlins?

Spray, wipe off. It is not just on the surface but into the wood. Should I spray all the wood or just where the mold is??

Many Thanks JIm
 

Attachments

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
7,222 Posts
If this is mold, it is mostly on the surface, it does not go deep into the wood since the mold needs moisture and air. Deep in the wood there is only moisture.

Spraying beyond the mold is a good way to prevent the mold spreading.

Mold needs high moisture and no or low light.

Most bacteria, including mold are killed by bleach. Hence the Chlorox spray will easily kill the mold. Wiping off after a few seconds is mostly to remove the moisture.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top