Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is considered woodworking or not but it is what I use to put all of my projects and future projects on. I was asked by my wife’s niece to help build a steampunk set of goggles. Since I never heard of steampunk I had to do a lot of searching for inspiration on these goggles. I found where a lot of people were modifying their flashdrives with wood metal and other goodies. Once again I saw and had to have. I ripped apart a 32 GB flash drive I had and found a piece of burl scrap I had laying around. Luckily I also had some watch parts from the goggles and this is what I came up with. I keep it with me at all times and when I come across something I like I categorize it on the drive. Then when I start on the project I start a folder for drawings, designs, and pics. Nieces boyfriend loved the goggles.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same question. Come to find out he actually wears them to steampunk conventions. Google steampunk and you will see what I mean.

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
Its steam punk. Do any Google search for say, steam punk keyboard, or clock, etc.

That thumb drive must have been hard to do, with those small pieces of metal, and that wing engraving

Sent from my Xoom using Woodworking Talk

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I Googled steampunk and it all looks like Lady Ga Ga to me. A totally ridiculous mess. But your wood work is great, Paul.
It does in a way, but remember that its a literary style of scifi first and a bit off center on purpose. The devices of Jules Vern and H.G. Wells are all mostly steampunk in nature as they are the result of writers of the Victorian era trying to describe advanced technology in their story telling to an audience familiar with steam power only.

I'm sure that when they finally figure out how to travel faster than light, all of our scifi space ships will look just a silly to our descendants as steampunk does to us.

Fantastic work paulrtools. I really like the thumb drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I can tell you that I would never wear such outfits but the whole genra fits me well. I love wood, metal, steam engines, and anything mechanical. I will be making a desk lamp soon with ideas I found while building the goggles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts