Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of building one of these Mobile Tool Cabinets from WOOD Magazine. I saw this Mobile Tool Cabinet years ago in a copy of Wood Magazine and at the time I wasn’t interested, but now I’m getting a little tired of hauling tools back and forth. Lately I’ve just been filling up cardboard boxes and when its full I put them away.

I have 4 large roll-away tool boxes but they really are too big to move around in my shop. The 2ft x 2ft floor design is now appealing to me because I can push it all the way around my shop.

Anyway I can’t find my copy of Wood and before I buy a downloadable set of plans, I was just curious if anybody else has one and how do you like it?

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
The plans may be nice if you want to copy someone elses work and needs. If it were me I would design one that fit my needs. All it is, is three cabinets with casters bound together with piano hinges. Personally I think it needs to be a little deeper. It looks like it would be easy to turn over.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The plans may be nice if you want to copy someone elses work and needs. If it were me I would design one that fit my needs. All it is, is three cabinets with casters bound together with piano hinges. Personally I think it needs to be a little deeper. It looks like it would be easy to turn over.
I was also wondering about it tipping over. its only 5 1/2" ft tall with the wheels and I'm not sure how much I can actualy get in there, the 2 ft square foot print is perfect for moving around my work bench. I don't know how it will be when I open up the doors though.

I guess I could make one with just two 1' deep compartments, but I'd have to be careful not to open it up all the way or it will tip over.

I was just going to make a 2x2 shelf unit on wheels, but my hand saws and clamps would have to hang on it instead of laying horizontal. That's when I stumbled on to this plan.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
If you had the space you could make the center section 18" to 24" deep and put 4 casters on it. Then it wouldn't matter if you opened the wings all the way.

The picture made it look 7' to 8' tall. I pictured rolling it across the shop and catching an extension cord on the floor or scrap of wood and making a big boom.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I gave up on the Wood magazine cart after playing around with some ideas of my own in Sketchup. Below is a sketch of what I have in mind and it’s still in the development stage.

I’m going to add drawers in the cubby holes but haven’t drawn the drawers yet. Also the bottom shelf will be drawers as well soon as I get that far.

I may also lower the top shelf so it’s not quit as tall, but the main thing was to have a place to hang long stuff like saws and a couple of 2-3ft clamps. I don’t want all my clamps just a couple near by for when I need one in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For what it is worth, I searched on you tube for woodworking the other day. There is a video on Worlds best shop cart. It is actually a very well designed cart. The guy made room for an enormous amount of tools in a very small space as well as providing an extra work surface.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 3 of these carts from Harbor freight, but they are just too big to move around the shop. I have one with screws and hardware, another for electrical wire and stuff, and I bought one to throw my tools in while I’m using them, but it just didn’t work out after I bought more shop equipment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts