Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were looking for a new lathe but wasn't going to use it all the time what would you look for? I've got 2 now and I'm not a pro by no means but I'm always looking for more tools.So what brand would you look at and what attachments would you get with it? I've never turned a bowl but I have turned some pens and it's pretty fun.I have thought of looking for a mini lathe and getting rid of my full size to save on space.I only turn pens anyway. What do you think?Mini or Full size? Brand??? Pros/Cons..........

Donny

·
Registered
912 Posts
Donny, if you wish to get rid of your full size lathe for space considerations and really only turn pens then I think the mini lathe would be a no brainer. Most of the mini/midi styles can still turn a pretty decent sized bowl so if you find yourself hankering for a little more you can always still accomplish that.

You don't mention a price point but if are just looking at what are good mini lathes, I think the Jet minis are probably at the top with the reviews I see from most folks. I have a Delta midi lathe that I am quite happy with and works fine for smaller turnings. The Rikon also seems to get favorable reviews on it and may be a little cheaper than the Jet. Of course you also have to decide whether you need variable speed and how much room between centers you want.

As far as accesories?:eek: Well it never ends. There is always something. Obviously a first choice would probably be a chuck and then the skies the limit. How much would you be looking to spend initially?

John

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The new Delta mini would be my #1 choice followed closely by the Jet 12" mini and the Grizzly 12" mini. You could expand any of those to full size later if needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts