Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had someone want me to sand out some dings in a gun stock. Got it sanded and wiped down with some mineral spirits to see if I got it all smooth. It was then I noticed this. Still in the learning process of something's, anyone know what's going on here? By the way, the picture is one side and the other of the piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Had someone want me to sand out some dings in a gun stock. Got it sanded and wiped down with some mineral spirits to see if I got it all smooth. It was then I noticed this. Still in the learning process of something's, anyone know what's going on here? By the way, the picture is one side and the other of the piece.
If there is no glue line we may be looking at a stock that was made from heart wood / sap wood.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
End grain had a consistent pattern and it does blend from one side to the other. Thanks. My next question would be-would staining be an option to attempt to gain a little consistency? Or just let it be what it is?

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
The wood for the gun stock is just cut near the exterior of the tree and has sapwood. Probably when it was originally finished, the finisher supplemented the color with dyes on one side. I normally use a medium walnut aniline dye. You can keep adding the dye to get the color you want or adjust it darker by adding some dark walnut dye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts