Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all. I'm a student and in a search for a strong desk, I came across a very solid espresso stained desk and bought it from a lawyer for almost nothing. It's almost 6' wide and about 2.5' deep, and weighs at least 250, maybe 300lbs. its just two sides and a top. No cabinets, two very small drawers.

Is it possible to identify the type of wood, whether its one type or a mix? There are no markings on it at all, like a brand name or serial number.

The top has a few scratches and watermarks. I'd like to resurface the desk. Does the approach to resurfacing (stripper, sanding, stain, polyurethane... I think...) change based on the type of wood?

Thanks

·
7,222 Posts
It may be possible to identify the wood, but it is best to have pictures of the bare unstained/unfinished wood. Ideally closeup's of end grain.

This is a great site to use, but you have to make a guess at the wood species to look it up.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/#oak,_tasmanian

The method to remove the finish depends on the finish not the wood.

Start with the easy solvent like denatured alcohol. Apply on a piece of paper towel and then try on a small area. This will only work if the finish is shellac.

If the finish is laquer, then laquer thinner should work.

If you just want to use a product which works with most finishes and is low odour and water based low this is one example.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...per-quart.aspx

I also use a product called Ready-Strip which I found at my local hardware store.

Both are brushed on thick and then left to work on the paint.

The Ready Strip is less expensive.

Stain may not be removed by chemicals alone, since it may be within the pores. You may have to sand to bare wood to remove the stain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be possible to identify the wood, but it is best to have pictures of the bare unstained/unfinished wood...
Stain may not be removed by chemicals alone, since it may be within the pores. You may have to sand to bare wood to remove the stain.
Much appreciated. I only want to ID the wood out of curiosity, really. Maybe I'll click a picture before I stain. I'll likely try the SOY gel (after the denatured etoh, of course) so I don't have to bother with a mask.

I'm suspecting a lawyer sold you a laminated particle board desk.
Thanks for the help friend! However, I'm more concerned with function than fashion. For a desk that can easily hold my weight, I don't mind spending $8. Even if its particle board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts