Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know what type of wood this is -- thanks for any help you can offer.

On a whim, I cut a pen blank across the grain, I like the end result, especially the golden shimmering as I rotate it in and it catches the light. I'll try one with the grain and see which gives the nicest effect.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
AAARRRGGGHHHHH ... this is driving me nuts. I feel as though I have DEFINITELY seen something exactly like this, but I can't place what it is.

I poked around my site and I identified dozens of woods that it ISN'T but that's not a lot of help.

Your photography is excellent and the end grain shot in particular will help narrow it down. Can you post a pic of a larger area of surface grain? What's the provenance?

Paul

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul -- here's a shot showing more surface area, including a label which gives a hint to what it was sold as ... a kitchen chopping board!

To give some idea of scale, the label is 4" long; the board is 1.25" thick. (I corrected the colour of one of the earlier shots too in case that helps -- it was too red in the shot I posted yesterday.)

I noticed it at a yard sale, the lady said she used to work for a company that imported them from the Philippines. For 25 cents I wouldn't be upset to learn it came from New Jersey :laughing:

Thanks for your help --

Duncan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hm ... given the provenance and the face grain I would immediate assume meranti, but the end grain looks different than meranti. Of course "meranti" covers about a zillion species, so it may still be that. It genus Shorea and more species than I can count (well, I guess that's an exaggeration --- my database "only" list 160 species that have meranti as one of their common names and they aren't anywhere near all shorea).

It's one of those unidentifiable shorea / meranti / philippine mahogany woods. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :icon_smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts