Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dominick said:
Then what is it? Laughing!!!! Or do you know and this is suppose to be a guessing game?
The only guess I have is black locust... But I'm not sure that's what it is that's why I asked here. I didn't say the name Because I didn't want that to effect the opinions

·
Registered
288 Posts
If that's not walnut, which nobody on the planet could convince me of, then the only other possibility would be a dark hearted butternut. But it can't be butternut because it's walnut :yes:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I agreed with all of you. My dad asked me and I immediately said green walnut. It is still wet. Well his friend who is a woodworker mills his own lumber the tree was about 25-30 years old. He is actually a member on here. But he said he did not think it was walnut due to the sap color looks like it bled. So I went with that and tried to find something else. And the thing I found was black locust. If you look at the one end grain shot it looks like it has dark rings even out in the sap. Pretty wood! I will let him know that everyone else said walnut. I'll cut into it today once I'm done hunting and make sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but black walnut doesn't smell like black locust correct?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Black walnut will smell just like walnuts. I love that smell :icon_smile: Black locust not only smells completely different, but it also does not look like walnut. It is more of a yellow/amber color, darkening to reddish brown as it ages.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I'm going to conclude it is walnut. It smells just like it and I think it is. My dad's friend did not think it was Because of the amount of sap wood. My first guess was walnut. So thanks for all your help guys!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts