Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pair of Handscrew Clamps many years ago and somehow I lost them during one of my moves. I’ve been watching a lot of woodworking YouTube videos lately and noticed a lot of people using them. I have plenty of clamps and the cost of Handscrew Clamps just turned me off. Then I noticed a guy using them to reach over a 10” saw blade and it dawned on me that I don’t have anything with that deep a throat to do that. :huh:

Anyway I saw some 12” clamps on eBay and I was just wondering what the 12” meant. Is that the opening, the throat depth, or the length of the clamp?

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just found a Size 4 or I guess 16” Hand Screw Clamp that would be better, but I’m just blown away by the prices. I even found a kit to make my own, but it’s almost as much so I guess I’m NOT ever going to have one.

Now I’m really upset that I lost my dad’s clamps. I just never knew the value of them because they were so big and primitive looking.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: tc65

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have everything I need except for the maple. I’m looking on line to see if I can have some shipped to me. The only thing that would delay the project is shipping cost. So far the shipping is about as much as buying one already built.
I may have to wait until I take a trip someplace where there is a decent lumber yard

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much maple do you need?
I may be able to help you out.
Well thanks for the offer, but I’m not exactly sure. :smile:

I’d like to make at least 4 clamps while I have everything set up and I’m thinking about 16” clamps, but I don’t really know what a good size is without actually having one in my hand. Maybe I should make a couple of 12” and a couple of 16”.

The guy in the video glued two pieces together and I’m not so sure I like that, although it might make it stronger and I wouldn’t need as thick a piece to start out with.

I don’t know anything about these clamps and I’m really only interested in how deep that are. I always have to come up with ways to clamp things that my standard clamps can’t reach and it usually ends up using weights from my barbell set. Positioning large pieces to use gravity as my pressure gets complicated at times.

Anyway I’m in no real hurry and I have a lot of projects already lined up. My daughter is getting married next month and I have long honey do list at the moment. I’m going to need a break after this is all over and may take a short trip someplace. There should be some maple sold someplace on the way.

Hmm, I just remembered that my wife and daughter are driving to northern CA next weekend. I wonder if I could trust them to pick me up something while they are there :shifty:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't trust northern ca to have decent prices on lumber. :)
Thanks, My wife is going to Sonoma County and passing through Santa Rosa. I just looked up lumber yards and found a place called Meadclark lumber. They kind of look like a big box store but they advertize Maple hardwood although their web site doesn’t have anything in the way of prices.
I don’t know if I can talk her into stopping anyway. Her and my daughter has already given me a pretty stern “NO”. :eek::huh:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You call global wood source. They are in san jose. But it's going to cost an arm and a leg. nothing is cheap in ca.
Oh I hear you, I've been wanting to take a trip someday outside and buy a pickup truck full of as much a variety of hard woods as I can get.
I would love have some cherry or walnut, but all I can get is stressed out oak. I love red oak, but its frustrating to pay big money and find stress cracks after its cut to size.
I keep reading posts here about people buying huge amounts of wood on Craigslist and I nearly die of envy

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sleeper, maple is plentiful and relatively inexpensive here in the NW. I'd be happy to ship some down if you let me know what sizes you need.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sleeper, maple is plentiful and relatively inexpensive here in the NW. I'd be happy to ship some down if you let me know what sizes you need.
Thanks so much for your offer. I decided to glue two pieces together and I figure I would need 8 - 1x3x16” per pair of clamps. I would like to have at least 2 pair and although I would pay you, I just would feel real funny about imposing on you for that much wood.

I just watched the videos again to get all the dimensions and I realized that John Heist was using regular pine construction lumber so I may do the same. The only reason I was thinking maple was because it was recommended on the Jorgensen Hand Screw Wood Clamp Kit.

I do very much appreciate your help, but I’m just going buy something locally so thanks again.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Depends upon where I get it. Local hardwood dealers it's around $4-5 per board foot. But I know several people with bandsaw or chainsaw mills and can usually get it for about $1-1.50 per board foot. The cheaper is usually not as dry (which is ok as I usually just stockpile it for a while) and is also much rougher and sometimes knottier.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Wow, I'm jealous. I have to really look around to find poplar at 2 bdft.. the company I mention earlier, global wood source, was selling maple, at over 15 bdft with some boards at 30. I might have to plan a trip to the NW next summer to buy wood.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Is there a Harbor Freight on your beaten path?
Yes why? Do they have maple?

Oh You must mean these for $11.99 :

Now that's an idea. I think I'm going to buy them instead. Thanks :yes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts