Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference in wood glue .plus age of the glue .
Right now I have gorilla glue about 1 1/2 yr old . Does that matter ?
Is gorilla glue any difference than titebond glue ?
What I need a slower set up glue for my project.
Any recommendation ?
Thanks
:yes:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Is there any difference in wood glue .plus age of the glue .
Right now I have gorilla glue about 1 1/2 yr old . Does that matter ?
Is gorilla glue any difference than titebond glue ?
What I need a slower set up glue for my project.
Any recommendation ?
Thanks
:yes:

BIG difference between gorilla glue an titebond glue, I use titebond an never have a problem even when its aged. Gorilla glue likes to foam up an leaves a mess an if you are working on something special don't use it

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
bigcouger said:
BIG difference between gorilla glue an titebond glue, I use titebond an never have a problem even when its aged. Gorilla glue likes to foam up an leaves a mess an if you are working on something special don't use it
Gorilla polyurethane foams up, not gorilla wood glue. Not sure if OP is referring to the foaming kind or not. But yes your right Couger

·
7,222 Posts
Gorilla wood glue as in a yellow PVA glue is similar to Titebond.

Gorilla Urethane glue is a different chemical and I would not recommend.

Titebond has 3 version I, II and III. I has the smallest setup time, III has the longest. I think there is some additive Titebond sells to extend setup time, but I have not had an issue with Titebond III's setup time.

Titebond will recommend using the glue within 1 year. I have used older glue. I think a bigger issue is if the glue has been through freeze / thaw cycles.

I do try to use the glue within a year if possible.

I do see a thickening in the bottle as it ages. Not sure if this can be fixed by adding small amounts of water.

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
It seems like you may have two questions here.

Question 1. Regarding the difference between the glues. Gorilla (polyurethane) glue is different than Titebond glues. This issue has been answered.

Question 2. Which glue to use? Without knowing what the application is, it is impossible to answer the question. Both glues are very good when used where they should be. Poly glues work very well and are not messy when used properly.

If poly glue turns into a foamy mess, then too much glue was used for that application. For some reason poly glues seem to get a bad rap. I use both glues all the time and have never been dissatisfied.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
27,768 Posts
The foam type glue is a polyurethane glue. It is more similar to "Great Stuff" expanding foam insulation. It works good in some applications but the Gorilla PVA glue is better suited for well fitted wood joints and is more similar to Titebond I. The age of the glue would depend a lot on how it was stored. If it was stored in a building in 100+ degrees temperature it would thicken and shorten the shelf life. Also if the glue was allowed to freeze it will adversely affect it. A year and a half stored at or around 75 degrees is not too long. I think I have some older than that. Just watch the viscosity of the glue and if it starts to look thick throw it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts