Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a son-in-law who is Scottish and I was thinking a pen and pencil set would make a nice Christmas gift if I could find some nice wood from Scotland.

I've done some preliminary Internet searches and so far I've not found anything. We certainly seem to have plenty of wood from all over Central and South America and Africa, so I can't imagine this is a real big hurdle in terms of importing...but then again, importing stuff means dealing with government and that doesn't always equate to rational rules.

So, anyone know of a source for some attractive Scottish wood I could make into pen blanks? Anyone here from Scotland and want to do a wood swap (assuming international wood swaps are legal).

Don

·
11 Posts
Hi Don,

Elm, ash, beech, yew, oak and sycamore are all native to Scotland. It is midnight here and I don't want to wander out to my shop, but I am fairly sure that I have some blanks in some of these timbers. If not, I can cut them! So if you give me an address I will get them off to you in the next few days.

·
11 Posts
Blanks En route

Hi Don,

As I am a newbie and haven't yet made 5 posts I can't send or reply to PMs, hence this public reply.

Blanks are en route and should be with you by the end of the week. I hope that they meet your requirements. Please let me know.

And yes, with a name like yours you must have Scottish blood running thru your veins. Not everyone is so fortunate!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prologus,

The pen blanks arrived today and they look fantastic. Thank you very much. My son-in-law will be very surprised and pleased. If you'd like some wood from the colonies, I'd be glad to return the favor.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts