Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
maker of crooked things
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, gonna make the wife a french rolling pin, was wondering best wood choice. I wS thinking about a osage orange as i have had a nice 2x2x18 blank sitting in the shop for better then a year waiting for a project. It still has the wax so i was concerened about warpage. Any thoughts

·
where's my table saw?
27,753 Posts
in light of your user name...

How could you use anything but warped wood or wood that would/wood potentially warp? They say a fruit wood is best for contact with foods, but I don't know if Osage Orange is of that variety?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Any tree species which produced an edible product is probably OK for a pin.
Take a look at your own US Forest Service data bases. Surely they can advise you of the Food-Safe qualities of your native tree species.
Beech and Birch are common choices. My SIL gave me a 4" beech pin, I hate to think what he might have paid.
Friut woods are good as they have very small vessels (aka pores). For this purpose, the ashes, oaks, hickories and so on are junk.

·
maker of crooked things
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the grain was another concern, maple is good and all just looking for somthing a little more colorfull, ive made her paduk accsesories, walnut, oak and cherry. Maple just seems a little plain for her.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Beech has been the wood used for kitchen utensils for ages.The reason being when it gets wet it will dry back to its original size / shape. Use kiln dried wood if possible and finish with mineral oil which you can purchase at your local pharmacy. Cheers

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just made a rolling pin out of maple and tineo. It was a traditional style but the colors contrasted well.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Back to your question.
I would not hesitate to use the Osage orange for a rolling pin. If it's nice & dry you'll need sharp tools. Should make a really nice pin.
As for finish, use USP mineral oil--buy it at the drug store. Looks and works really well as a finish & food safe. The wood should be OK for that too--I've not treated anybody for allergy to Osage Orange.

·
maker of crooked things
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i went for it, looking good, pin will end ip 18 long 7/8 end diamiter and a working surface of around 10" @ 1 1/4. Was aiming for 1 1/2 (seems to be standard) but there was a deep inclusion so i have to go a little smaller . Shoud be fine tho i have seen them with those dimentions for sale, think im gonna find a vig ole chunk of walnut and make a traditional one for the mom. Ps would post pics but damned if i can figure out how to do it from my phone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts