Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to rub down a Poly finish to remove dirt & still retain finish? I want to take out the dirt but don't want to re coat because I will get more dirt. Also how many coats of poly do you put on before you rub out the dirt?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm guessing by "dirt" you are referring to dust nibs? If so, after the varnish is mostly cured, try using some wadded up kraft paper (brown paper, like the old paper grocery bags). Polyurethane varnishes should be scuff sanded between coats for adhesion, doing that would remove the nibs...so I'm suggesting you would be doing that with each coat. with other formulas (non-poly varnishes) the scuff sanding isn't needed. So I usually apply 3 coats, let cure a little, then remove the nibs. Sometimes I'll then put on a last coat of wiping varnish (highly thinned, with a cloth). BTW, if the kraft paper doesn't get all the nibs out, then you'll have to go to a fibril wool, or wet sand with a very fine grit paper. I shun steel wool, but you could use that as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts