Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
As any one found a wood filler they like that is easy to work with and does not dry up to fast over time?
If you mean grain filler, I use a solvent based filler from Mohawk Finishing Products. If you mean wood putty, I prefer Famowood wood putty. Either product takes some maintenance from time to time. It should be stirred all the way to the bottom of the can and have solvents added when they start getting too thick.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Steve,I hear ya on the "maintenance".....

Does it make sense to store little cans of filler upside down?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Steve,I hear ya on the "maintenance".....

Does it make sense to store little cans of filler upside down?
I use that trick with PVC cement. As for adding solvent to Famowood or other solvent based wood putty, you can get it too thinned if the process is an ongoing one. Elmers makes some good waterbased putty. Seems like their plastic containers work better than a can (if you keep the tops clean).

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Slight tangent but close.......

Am gluin up a 1/2 dz arrows(feathers/woody's)....the glue is the "right stuff" at 5+$ a tube.Rolls up toothpaste style.If you don't store it tip down,you'll get exactly a onetime usage.But keep the tip down,cap on(duh) and apparently the solvents keep the tips innards "wet".

·
Registered
629 Posts
Timber Mate water based filler is great stuff. If it dries a bit in the container, add a bit of water to reconstitute.:thumbsup:
Lots of color choices, and it doesn't shrink in the application area.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts