Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple of those large wire spools that I am turning into tables. On the underside there is that 1.5" circle where the wood slats go. I am planning on making this the top.
What are some options to fill that with? I know epoxy is one. Are there cheaper options, something similar to grout that will flex with the wood?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to be clear I'm talking about the large circle like the one in this pic I pulled from the web. I just want that to be flush with the rest of the table.

I'm pretty new to woodworking and don't have a ton of experience so any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Load all the gaps with interesting bits like beads, stones, nuts & bolts. Fill to the brim with fiberglas methacrylate boat resin.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I guess it depends on what you'll do with the final design. If you're going to paint it then I'd make a circle of plywood and sort of inlay it in there. If you want to keep it visible through glass like the pic you posted, perhaps plug the small holes with something decorative and pour a layer of liquid plastic over it all..

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Go with cabinetman's original post - plug it. Simply try to find matching wood that will blend in with the grain of the existing wood, cut a circle just slightly larger and sand the bottom slightly smaller. The trick is to leave the plug sticking out just a bit and glue it in. You can then take a hand plane and smooth the top.

You said you're new to woodworking and I assume you have very few tools. All you need for your project is a hand drill and a circle cutter for the drill. They're not expensive. The only obstacle is the circle cutter will leave a center hole which can be filled with a dowel.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can tint a light colored bondo to most any color you want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
image-1338204883.jpg

So, I think some still think I am talking about the three holes. I am talking about the one I've zoomed in on that is only about an inch deep. The problem with epoxy resin is that with all of the different boards it'll be hard to keep it all contained.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm slowly building up my collection of tools but do not have a lot, including a router as someone suggested. I'll look into the bondo as I've never heard of using it for wood.
Final design will be fairly rustic. Probably stained with a team logo on it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's pretty common to use bondo on wood. It's a standard method of patching wood siding on a house before painting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
how about putting a nice piece of wood over it on a turn table, (the base of a lazy susan works great for that kind of stuff) you would never know the holes are there and it'd be functional.

or route the rest of it out and make an place for a picture or a nice piece of nice oxidized copper?

If your looking to keep it all wood then plugging it is the best idea, but I'd make it a central focal point with some thing, even a piece of cast iron painted black to give it a mid -evil look. just my opinion, good luck dt

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
how about putting a nice piece of wood over it on a turn table, (the base of a lazy susan works great for that kind of stuff) you would never know the holes are there and it'd be functional.

or route the rest of it out and make an place for a picture or a nice piece of nice oxidized copper?

If your looking to keep it all wood then plugging it is the best idea, but I'd make it a central focal point with some thing, even a piece of cast iron painted black to give it a mid -evil look. just my opinion, good luck dt
I agree with routing it out, and putting in a disc of wood, either flush, or recessed, with sea shells, fish hooks, lures, or whatever floats your boat. Then fill with clear resin.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing, make a lazy Susan to cover it. You can buy lazy Susan bearings.

·
Registered
611 Posts
AHHHH!! The picture of that table scares the bejeezus out of me. About three years ago I was driving on I-495 outside of DC, doing about 55 mph, when I encountered one of those spools rapidly zig-zagging its way towards me and my MR2 Spyder. It had fallen off a truck that was doing probably 70 mph. The spool was generally coming right at me, but it's odd shape made it bounce around so that I couldn't tell until the last nanosecond whether to cut left, right or stay in my lane. All the while I had to be mindful of cars in the lanes next to me. I got lucky and made a quick and correct decision to duck to the right. But to this day those spools scare me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts