Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Huh?
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General finishes has a nice looking blue dye and I'm wondering about how it would work on walnut.

Their website says:
"The deep rich tones enhance the wood grain and produce vibrant colors especially on woods like cherry, walnut and maple."

I just can't get my head wrapped around how they can make walnut bright blue with dye. My experience with dye is pretty much limited to tye-dying shirts, where you can only go darker, not lighter.

Has anyone tried this before? Or any other dye to turn walnut blue?

Thanks

·
Huh?
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't know why one would want to dye walnut.
Bill
:laughing: Well normally I'd have to agree with you there.
My son and I are going to attempt to build an electric guitar for him. I've already got a chunk of walnut that's thick enough so that's what I'm using.

At least it won't be totally covered by paint.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
I don't think you can overcome the natural color of walnut with a dye. I think at best you might give it a blue tint to it. Try some on some scrap wood and post the results.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
For the blue to really show you need a light base to begin with. Dye allows the color of the wood to show through, it is an additive coloring process. You could use your walnut if you used a 2 part wood bleach and removed the walnut color from the wood. You will then have walnut the color of maple and your blue dye will have maximum coloring effect. (Wood purists will invariably puke at the idea of bleaching walnut but it does happen quite a bit in the real world) The alternative would be to start with a light colored wood like a figured maple or sycamore if possible.

Do samples on scrap BEFORE making any decisions. :thumbsup:

·
Huh?
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's about what I was thinking too. I just don't see how their website can claim vibrant colors on walnut without first bleaching or something.

I'll see what it does to some scrap.

Thanks fellas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts