Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brown Amber Water Rectangle Liquid

My front door is faded and I want to bring it back to life can anyone give me advice on where to start and tips here is pictures the one picture is from the inside and that is what is originally looked like any help is greatly appreciated
Also I have no idea how old the door is honestly I just bought the house and the house was built in the 80s if that helps any
Brown Fixture Door Wood Home door
Brown Wood Amber Water Wood stain

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Good looking mahogany door. The first thing you need to find out is white type of finish is on the door, likely a form of varnish. Take a cotton swab and in a discreet area apply a small amount of acetone. If it is varnish the finish will become tacky. If it beads up it is polyurethane. Shellac and lacquer are not used on exterior doors. Next you have to decide how much work you want to put into it. To completely refinish the door I would recommend removing it and having it professionally stripped. Retail strippers sold to consumers do to EPA will not get the job done well. If you just want to clean and refinish I would wash the door thoroughly with TSP, rinse and let dry well. Once dry, and you have determined the finish type, scuff sand the existing finish enough to create good bonding and refinish with the existing finish. If you have the door stripped you will want to wash it well with mineral spirits and give it a day or two to flash off completely. Sand with 2200. If I were going with a new finish I would use Sikkens Cetol or similar. Do not use a polyurethane, the finish is too brittle for exterior doors. Cetol has excellent UV blockers to keep your door looking good for years to come.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good looking mahogany door. The first thing you need to find out is white type of finish is on the door, likely a form of varnish. Take a cotton swab and in a discreet area apply a small amount of acetone. If it is varnish the finish will become tacky. If it beads up it is polyurethane. Shellac and lacquer are not used on exterior doors. Next you have to decide how much work you want to put into it. To completely refinish the door I would recommend removing it and having it professionally stripped. Retail strippers sold to consumers do to EPA will not get the job done well. If you just want to clean and refinish I would wash the door thoroughly with TSP, rinse and let dry well. Once dry, and you have determined the finish type, scuff sand the existing finish enough to create good bonding and refinish with the existing finish. If you have the door stripped you will want to wash it well with mineral spirits and give it a day or two to flash off completely. Sand with 2200. If I were going with a new finish I would use Sikkens Cetol or similar. Do not use a polyurethane, the finish is too brittle for exterior doors. Cetol has excellent UV blockers to keep your door looking good for years to come.
Sweet thank you so much

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
I think the finish is beyond maintenance. The gray color is due to water damage. The only real fix would be to chemically strip the door and refinish it. Winter isn't a good time to use paint stripper. Even professional grade remover doesn't work well below 70 degrees. Refinishing a door is at best a two day job. Working on it part time you might consider installing a cheap door in it's place while you are working on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the finish is beyond maintenance. The gray color is due to water damage. The only real fix would be to chemically strip the door and refinish it. Winter isn't a good time to use paint stripper. Even professional grade remover doesn't work well below 70 degrees. Refinishing a door is at best a two day job. Working on it part time you might consider installing a cheap door in it's place while you are working on it.
Thank you so much for the information

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.