Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a big problem. I have installed new home made wooden counter tops. I have never undertook a big job like that. I am happy with the counters but it seems I used the wrong silicone caulk for my under mount sink,it never really set up, even after a couple of days. I just dug it all out I hope,now i will let it sit for a day or two. What is the best caulk to use in a situation like this ?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
You put in an undermount sink in a wood countertop? How did you seal the wood around the sink?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ryan50hrl said:
You put in an undermount sink in a wood countertop? How did you seal the wood around the sink?
The wood I used had varnish on both sides,it was reclaimed bleacher seats ,hart wood pine.So I only planned one side ,putting the clean side up. Then ran a bead of caulk around sink before I put counter down over the sink. After putting Waterlox on the counter side I planed down. I hope to have resolved the problem this morning. Ran a bead of clear silicone around edge of under mount sink and counter. Hope that creates a good seal.what do you think ? Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
The wood I used had varnish on both sides,it was reclaimed bleacher seats ,hart wood pine.So I only planned one side ,putting the clean side up. Then ran a bead of caulk around sink before I put counter down over the sink. After putting Waterlox on the counter side I planed down. I hope to have resolved the problem this morning. Ran a bead of clear silicone around edge of under mount sink and counter. Hope that creates a good seal.what do you think ? Thank you for your thoughts.
How is the sink attached to the underside of the counter top?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for asking . So far it seems like things will work out. The silicone I put between the sink and wood counter is not dry (it's been 3 days).

We are using the sink. So far,so good.

·
Registered
27,000 Posts
Can you screw a wooden bracket under the sink to hold the weight. Then all the silicone would have to do is seal the water out. The granite people use a paste epoxy to glue an undercounter sink. It would hold better but I would hate to be the one to change the sink when it wears out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for replying. Before putting down the wood counter I put a thin sheet of o.s.b. down to have a flat surface to work off,and then I set the sink. The wood counter is then put over the sink and overhangs the counter by a inch and a half. I will run quarter round over the o.s.b. to cover it under the over hang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts