Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a wood carver and have been making jewellery from dried oak wooden branches that have fallen from trees.

The finger rings I am making seem to be brittle and not so hard (I can crush them in between my fingers if I try) I Bought a tin of Ronseal clear satin varnish as I don't want the finished product to have a shine.

Is this the best way to strengthen wood?

If so how many times should I apply a fine layer of varnish!?

You advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hello,

I have a wood carver and have been making jewellery from dried oak wooden branches that have fallen from trees.

The finger rings I am making seem to be brittle and not so hard (I can crush them in between my fingers if I try) I Bought a tin of Ronseal clear satin varnish as I don't want the finished product to have a shine.

Is this the best way to strengthen wood?

If so how many times should I apply a fine layer of varnish!?

You advice is appreciated.
I suggest Waterlox tung oil. Waterlox will strengthen a wood to a certain degree, but if you can crush it between your 2 fingers, I dont think the waterlox will help but so much. Most tung oils are elastic which penetrate the wood.

Any coating that will not penetrate the wood, meaning it will only seal the wood, is not gonna give you any strenght. Although, I have heard of people using super glue as a coat and it helps harden the wood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts