Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked to make a hope chest for a friend. He's giving it to his fiancé. I was given creative freedom with the wood choices. I am doing the majority of it out of cherry with aromatic cedar lining it. My question is would anyone put some walnut in with the cherry. I was thinking of a 1" band around the whole box. Would this be a good mix. Or should I go straight cherry? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Contrast is always good. I think that'd be good,

Reactions: Duncancruiser

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I built three tables for the living room using Walnut for the tops and Cherry for the legs and skirt. They do get closer in color after 25 years. Fine Woodworking did an article about using contrasting woods. It was very enlightening. Sorry I don't know the issue but you could google it I'm sure.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of it.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Dave Paine said:
I like using contrasting woods. Cherry and walnut are some of my favourites.

My most recent example, a small salt shaker, about 5in tall.
Dave
Is that salt or pepper? :)

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like using contrasting woods. Cherry and walnut are some of my favourites.

My most recent example, a small salt shaker, about 5in tall.

View attachment 83059
can you link me on a guide to making simple looking things like this i need some good beginners projects to learn how to do things. not that i'm calling this easy, but you have to start somewhere right? I'm guessing you could take three squares of wood, glue them together and get it on a lathe? I dunno just guessing. It could be easier or harder than I'm imagining. I like how you got the seams of the wood so close together that it looks like one piece. :thumbsup:

To the OP, cherry and cedar would be good enough to float my boat. Don't make things too complicated for yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts