Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This box elder is so white that the water that spins out to the surface then dries leaves water stains. I'm turning green to finished so I don't have the luxury of turning the stains out later. Sanding helps but it is a little to deep to sand out completely.
Has anybody dealt with this? I'm wondering about oxalic acid or chlorine bleach. I have Wood Cote 2part wood bleach but I think that will do more than I want. Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
This came up on another forum. The guy that knows the most about box elder and sells the prettiest flame box elder I have seen said to use regular bleach but if it was the yellow colored to dilute it in water until it was clear then apply it. He said it would not effect the reds if yours had any but it would turn the other areas white. hope that helps.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ghost5 said:
This came up on another forum. The guy that knows the most about box elder and sells the prettiest flame box elder I have seen said to use regular bleach but if it was the yellow colored to dilute it in water until it was clear then apply it. He said it would not effect the reds if yours had any but it would turn the other areas white. hope that helps.
When he said regular bleach do you think he meant Clorox type bleach?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Clorox bleach won't do much. It's just too weak. 2 part wood bleaches will bleach out some colors and leave others. On box elder it will bleach out the light wood and leave the red as well as the slight tan color that often surrounds the red or sometimes is there by itself. It also won't usually bleach out other dark stains. It's not a cure all but may do what you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts