Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lost the whole post... Here we go again, albeit quicker and with less humor.

Just finished an easy design for a project and went outside to brave the annoyance and cold of my garage shop.

I installed a new blade and made sure that I cleaned everything and it fit tightly. I put my zero clearance blade back on and proceeded to raise the blade. It didn't seem to fit, which was strange. Doing a resize with the new blade it was obvious that there's something not right. The new blade doesn't line up with the original! Check it out here: http://infinityideas.com/dev/pics/zeroinsert.jpg

There's no vibration, etc and everything sounds as it should. You wouldn't think there's something amiss when firing up the saw.

Not only that, it's pretty obvious that the blade doesn't correctly line up with the cast iron tabs build into the saw either. Sure, perspective might create an optical illusion, but it's pretty obvious.... See that here: http://infinityideas.com/dev/pics/mouthofbeast.jpg

Only 2 things I can think of that mighta caused this:
1) my outfeed table recently fell onto the motor (contractor type saw)
2) my angle adjustment has always been impossible to get to 45degrees. I recently needed this so forced the machine to get to this. The pressure might have moved it outta alignment.... To me, this is the most logical idea, but still....

Here are my questions:
How do I fix this? Trunnion bolts are made for slight movements and fixing blade parallelism, not moving 1/4" or more. I tried to move everything back into alignment by loosening them but nothing seems to want to move.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
It seems obvious that, since there is no vibration and everything seems good except for the alignment, that either your top moved or the arbor is not in the correct position which I assume means that it was knocked out of position.
Since everything runs well, it must be an alignment issue.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You better get under the saw and check out where the trunnion bolts to the top. Those bolts can loosen over time and it will create a serious problem! I noticed earlier this year that my rigid t3660 was out of alignment by a hair so I checked the bolts and 3 bolts were very loose! My saw gets used daily and hadn't been checked in about 4 years, so I now check it every few months.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Only 2 things I can think of that might caused this:
1) my out feed table recently fell onto the motor (contractor type saw)
2) my angle adjustment has always been impossible to get to 45 degrees.
There in lies your answer...

On a contractor saw, an out feed table usually interferes with the motor on a contractor saw when attempting to tilt to 45°. Well if you forced it, I'm sure that you twisted something out of adjustment.

If the out feed table is heavy, the fall could further knock the alignment out.

Before adjusting your trunnions. get some replacement washers for under the trunnion bolts. Usually the washers deform when tightening up after alignment. If you tighten the deformed washer it will realign the trunnions to a misaligned position.

BTW - If they will fit your trunnion bolts, garage door washers may be the best choice. They are hardened and less likely to deform.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figured it out...

After an hour+ removing everything, etc. it seems that the outfeed table fall was the issue. The fall onto the motor caused the whole mechanism to twist, sending the long 'bolts' that connect front to back outta alignment. Once everything was twisted in the opposite direction, and everything tightened down, the blade now lines up pretty nice. I'll need to get exact (got a Masterplate and PALS setup on the way), but for now it's good to know that I believe I have the solution.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.