Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone turned a wooden biscuit cutter? If so would you share your process? I searched for an online video but no luck.
Thanks in advance, tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary Beasley said:
You may need to just try it and let us know what you get. I would think a round shallow box with a bevel cut on the outside would work just fine.
We'll I could do that but I don't think I could figure out if it worked. I am widowed and don't know how to make home made biscuits. I might could make one and get a family member to try it out.
Tom

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've made 2. It's like turning the top bowl of a goblet. You hollow out the area for the biscuit. Then shape the outside leaving a sort of large knob for a handle. The rim should be somewhat sharp but rounded over slightly so it won't break easily but will still cut the dough. The most important thing is to drill a small hole in the top of the biscuit cutter part so that air escapes and the biscuit will fall back out. I think I have one my friend made somewhere that I kept. If I can find it I'll post a photo later.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
john lucas said:
I've made 2. It's like turning the top bowl of a goblet. You hollow out the area for the biscuit. Then shape the outside leaving a sort of large knob for a handle. The rim should be somewhat sharp but rounded over slightly so it won't break easily but will still cut the dough. The most important thing is to drill a small hole in the top of the biscuit cutter part so that air escapes and the biscuit will fall back out. I think I have one my friend made somewhere that I kept. If I can find it I'll post a photo later.
Thanks John. If you can post a picture of the inside. I got the general idea of the outside.
Tom

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The inside is nothing unusual. Just straight sides for about 1/2 to 3/4" and then slope in fairly abruptly so it's about 1 1/2" deep at the center.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The inside is nothing unusual. Just straight sides for about 1/2 to 3/4" and then slope in fairly abruptly so it's about 1 1/2" deep at the center. Basically make the inside first and then make the outside whatever you want but usually people make the outside bottom mimic the inside. The walls are pretty thin at the edges but thicker as it goes up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
john lucas said:
The inside is nothing unusual. Just straight sides for about 1/2 to 3/4" and then slope in fairly abruptly so it's about 1 1/2" deep at the center. Basically make the inside first and then make the outside whatever you want but usually people make the outside bottom mimic the inside. The walls are pretty thin at the edges but thicker as it goes up.
Thanks John I think I see how it's made. After Christmas I will try to make one.
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts