Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Boxcarver
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone-

I am in the process of turning a heavily knotted Apple Stump into a log lamp.
It is hollow on the body part with two beautiful burl holes. I want to put a interior light inside as well as a "main" light on a offshoot branch. Can anyone walk me through or give me info on wiring a two separate light lamp? I know there are lamps with a light in the base, then one in the top, then you can light them each or all at the same time. Has anyone done this?:eek: I sure appreciate any and all help

Merry Christmas to all...work smart from the start

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can't find a "kit" online but I know they make them. I had to replace a switch like that in a lamp one time. You may have to buy the parts individually. A switch that has the three different settings and then the two different lamp holders.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
Before you get too far into the wiring you might consider the light itself. You might want to use some LED lighting so it doesn't generate too much heat inside the wood. After a while a conventional light bulb will dry the wood out enough it might catch fire.

·
Boxcarver
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiring a lamp

Many thanks to those who replied to my post. It was really nice to get such quick responses, and all excellent information.

I am going to go with a dual base switch and a LED for the interior light to eradicate, (hopefully) the possibility of the wood drying out and becoming flammable.

I was considering putting a "flicker Light" on top, then I remembered that we are no longer in the 70s.

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

Sincerely

Reverend Tab

1 - 5 of 5 Posts