Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already applied two coats of a brush on poly but was thinking about applying two more coats of a wipe on poly to finish out with a really clean thin top coat. Not sure if the two are compatible. The project is an older oak desk. Any words of caution or advice on this? Would it make any difference at all? Thx, Mike

·
Registered
26,207 Posts
You don't have to purchase a wipe on poly. The only difference between the two is the wipe on poly is thinned more so all you have to do is thin the poly you are already using to wipe it. I would practice on some scrap wood and see just how little thinner to add. Less is better.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You don't have to purchase a wipe on poly. The only difference between the two is the wipe on poly is thinned more so all you have to do is thin the poly you are already using to wipe it. I would practice on some scrap wood and see just how little thinner to add. Less is better.
Steve is spot on. I use wipe on poly a lot, especially after I've wooled or sanded a piece smooth. Just note that it takes several coats to cover a dull finish after sanding just because the poly is so thin. Be patient and you'll be pleased with the results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When you say to add thinner are you talking about mineral spirits?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve is spot on. I use wipe on poly a lot, especially after I've wooled or sanded a piece smooth. Just note that it takes several coats to cover a dull finish after sanding just because the poly is so thin. Be patient and you'll be pleased with the results.
I assume you still have to do a light sanding between the wipe on coats as well even though they are very thin right? Kind of new to this hobby but its fun. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I assume you still have to do a light sanding between the wipe on coats as well even though they are very thin right? Kind of new to this hobby but its fun. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I don't sand between wiping coats. Just don't try to apply too much at a time.

·
Still got all 10
207 Posts
Bradnailer is right, not to much, you want the cloth damp, not dripping wet, it will make a mess. Don't ask me how I know this, just believe.
It will dry quickly with less or no dust. I don't sand between coats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all of the thoughtful information. I am finishing a tongue and mortise railing with both bark on and bark off with several Adirondack woods. I have been wiping on with a total of 5 coats and it hasn't "popped" yet. I have a particularly hard time getting finish into 4 inch hickory bark. I think I will brush on to build up sheen.
I appreciate all of the comments!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts