Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently finished a project (no lacquer or polyurethane. customer request), I stained it last night and started on my next project. Well, the fool I am, I started ripping boards on my table saw and got saw dust sprinkles all over the other project. My question is can I take a damn cloth and wipe it down? Or will that affect the stain? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha meant damp* Ya I'm assuming they are gunna seal themselves. But to give me some piece of mind i might just sneak it in haha

·
Registered
26,202 Posts
You shouldn't get in the habit of not wiping the stain completely off when staining. If you did put a lacquer or polyurethane over the top the excess stain on the surface can have adhesion problems. If the color isn't dark enough use a darker stain. Another option would be to stain the wood first with a dye stain to achieve the majority of the color and then use the oil stain to give it some warmth.

You can wipe the stain off with a rag damp with a solvent however it is likely to make the color lighter. What is your intentions for long term on this project. The stain alone isn't a finish and will soon look like dead dry wood without some kind of finish over the top. At least put a Danish oil finish or a wax finish such as Bri-Wax over the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts