Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girls on Facebook have been going crazy over the crates someone found. They are actually made in the USA.

I decided to make a wine storage crate for my step daughter for her upcoming birthday out of one of them. I finished it today and she is coming into town tomorrow.

I found them at my local Walmart. I see Home Depot sells them also. The good part is I don't have to build them, just modify and go.

Not fine furniture. Just a crate.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
what are they dimensions of the crates?
great idea

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have been seeing the ladies posting pics of them on facebook also. Wondering if they are trying to give us a hint. Here are two pictures I copied and put in my idea folder...

winebox.jpg

winerack.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey Johnny, I also made both of them, there made from pallets, I got into this a while back a lot of fun, and it's free..
Pallets sure do a good job towards the rustic look. I think the top one is a modified 'Steve Ramsey' model. After reading this thread, I now have another one to add to my future projects file:thumbsup: Free wood comes in a close second to free beer!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I don't want and I don't expect my prep countertop kitchen space to be used for storage. I have a big, open, Italian-designed kitchen. Wine/schmine, whatever. I refuse to apologize for being territorial.

Make me one that hangs from the ceiling.
Those are absolutley gorgeous racks but I can't see how I can get them off my benches.

·
Wood Tinkerer
58 Posts
Here's a wall one made from construction grade lumber. Added the copper accent and some chalkboard paint label space. Sold one on a Facebook swap shop and took orders for 5 more.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Great and creative build on the crates, great looking wine holder and coffee table. Cool designs and you make crates look good and functional. Great job!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finished the coffee table and delivered it to my step daughter's house. It is her birthday present. Her five year old daughter said "momma, you don't drink coffee". :icon_smile:

I made a simple base of plywood with four casters from a Harbor Freight furniture dolly ($2 ea), then added a skirt of white pine to hide the casters. It turned out pretty good.

She loves it.

My wife looked at it sitting in our living room and said "it fits our room nicely. I want one". :eek:
Mike

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts