Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question on mating the wood to the glass. I'm making some for my son and his fiance for Christmas. I was thinking I should sand the glass stems to get better adhesion between the two. I will be using an epoxy to do this. Any suggestions on the type of epoxy.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I glue them in with clear silicone caulking. It holds very well. I have never sanded them. What I prefer is to buy whole goblets and cut the stems off myself. that way I can leave a little longer stem than the ones you buy from the turning supply houses.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Clear silicone stays flexible and bonds to glass really well. I use it to bond my hand mirrors in and when I get a broken one back I have to literally chisel the glass out. My sister has 2 of my goblets and they are about 10 years old. I don't know how often she uses them however but they are still holding up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
John I have been out of the glass business for a few years but silicone had been known to eat silvering off mirrors. Mirror mastic is what I think the product was called that was safe for mirrors. I am sure someone will jump in and say silicone is used on car side mirrors all the time... not a standard mirror. Sorry to jump in on your post like that, I have used epoxy on the few glasses I have done. I think epoxy might be easier to clean off glass. I cut the stems off also to the length I want and a belt sander will work to smooth or tapper the stem tip, just don't get it to hot when sanding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tested many different glues and one of the best I've found is E6000 sold at craft places including walmart. I don't sand the glass(stem) but I do wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. Watch when you purchase this glue though it comes in black and clear.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've been making mirrors for 25 years and haven't had a problem. The clear silicone caulking that I buy at the Hardware store looks, smells and probably tastes just like the stuff I bought from the glass shop for gluing mirrors. Damaging the silver was something I worried about but it has been a non problem

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Just curious, what are you guys using to cut the stems?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good discussion guys. I'm making the bases out of walnut and I hope to have them done this weekend. I have an aerosol can of clear RTV silicone that I will use.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Good discussion guys. I'm making the bases out of walnut and I hope to have them done this weekend. I have an aerosol can of clear RTV silicone that I will use.
Mind posting a few pics of them when you are done?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
And so simple. Just put a Banksia pod between centers. Move it around a little until you get the largest parts spinning reasonably true. Then turn a tenon on what will be the bottom. You'll have to leave a small tenon since it's between centers. On my chucks you can leave a tenon up to 3/4" and still stick it inside the chuck so I don't cut this small tenon off.
Then chuck it up in a chuck. Drill a hole large enough to fit the cutoff stem of your goblet. If you have one of the goblets that doesn't have a stem skip this step. Then I turn the shape that will fit the bottom of the goblet and if I have to enlarge or shape the drilled hole to fit the stem better.
Then just turn the stem portion. I wanted the natural edge of the Banksia but you could turn it down if you want. Once that's all done and sanded turn the bottom of the goblet stem body. I start off with a parting tools and then clean it up with the toe of my skew. If your not good at that just go ahead and part it off. Clean up the bottom with sanding discs either in a chuck in your headstock or in your drill press.
Then glue the goblet in with Clear Silicone Caulking or E6000.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts