Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of these made, but here was my first attempt at making one of these. I experimented with mine quite a bit.
I was also surprised to find it worked with 2-liter bottles too. hah.

Anyhow, It's a really simple project and fun to make.
As always you can check out my site over at: www.woodlogger.com for more pictures/videos of what I'm doing in my shop.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I've seen a lot of these made, but here was my first attempt at making one of these. I experimented with mine quite a bit.
I was also surprised to find it worked with 2-liter bottles too. hah.

Anyhow, It's a really simple project and fun to make.
As always you can check out my site over at: www.woodlogger.com for more pictures/videos of what I'm doing in my shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaUR46ix6sw

I've made a few of those, pretty simple and work well. I use a 35° angle though. Allows it to sit a bit lower. I also use a 45° chamfer around the hole. I think it makes the balance adjustment a little easier.

Attachments

·
Woodenboat Builder
327 Posts
I made three of these today myself, all in the shape of a fish.

Both of these pics were taken before I rubbed them with heavy cloth (to knock off some of the carbon from the torch) and varnishing them. They look pretty sweet now, I'll post pics when the varnish dries.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I made three of these today myself, all in the shape of a fish.

Both of these pics were taken before I rubbed them with heavy cloth (to knock off some of the carbon from the torch) and varnishing them. They look pretty sweet now, I'll post pics when the varnish dries.

Hi George - I thought it was white wine that went with fish... of course a good Irish whiskey goes with most anything:laughing:
Seriously, nice job :smile:

Reactions: gstanfield

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Questions about making these:

1. Does it matter how long the board is?

2. Does the distance matter from the base?

3. Is there anything else to keep in mind when making these? (I plan to make for a couple upcoming weddings.)

Thanks.

Mark

·
Woodenboat Builder
327 Posts
It does matter to a degree, you need to be able to have the center of gravity for the bottle directly above the foot of the pice where it meets the table. The plans for the fish one that I based mine off of (but varied a little...) came from here:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/gifts-accessories/free-wine-bottle-holder-plan/

You can also find plans here:
http://tomsworkbench.com/2011/05/09/stuff-ive-built-the-wine-bottle-balancers/

or just grab some scrap and start playing around until you find something that works out :)

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Mark - I attached a measured drawing of my version if it helps. I also have a pdf from a guy in Australian that has a step-by-step with pictures on how to do this with hand held router only. To large to attach but PM me and I'll send it.:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Besides playing with wood I enjoy making wine. I'm better at wine making than woodworking so a nice easy project that goes hand in hand with my wine making hobby is really neat. I made 6 of the simple wine stands today to hand out with my wine. Thanks for sharing.
Larry

·
Registered
464 Posts
jschaben said:
Hi Mark - I attached a measured drawing of my version if it helps. I also have a pdf from a guy in Australian that has a step-by-step with pictures on how to do this with hand held router only. To large to attach but PM me and I'll send it.:smile:
Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Besides playing with wood I enjoy making wine. I'm better at wine making than woodworking so a nice easy project that goes hand in hand with my wine making hobby is really neat. I made 6 of the simple wine stands today to hand out with my wine. Thanks for sharing.
Larry

Ah, a fellow wine maker in the house =)

I was thinking of making these and selling them for like $15 and including a bottle of my wine as a "decoration". =)

·
Registered
45 Posts
$15.00 for the wine stand with a free bottle of home made wine is a great idea. :thumbsup: I was at my son's house yesterday and he had a bottle of wine on the counter balanced in the wine stand I gave him and it just looked so cool.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
BKBuilds said:
Ah, a fellow wine maker in the house =)

I was thinking of making these and selling them for like $15 and including a bottle of my wine as a "decoration". =)
Make sure you check your local alcohol sales laws if you intend on selling to anyone you don't know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.