Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
Depending on location, you'll probably need a permit. :smile:
You don't give any info about this and want definitive answers?

You need permits in most municipalities in Florida. They want to make sure that the correct windows are installed and that the installation is correct as well. go to the municipality website that has jurisdiction over your friend's home and check to see what is required and what is exempted.

Paul

·
Registered
614 Posts
I lived in florida and will say you don't need a permit.

Realize almost anything I say may, and most likely will be wrong. I'm just a guy on the interwebs.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
You won't need a permit unless you get caught. It may depend on the location, and you should check. And, you ask, "How do you get caught". Common ways are neighbors that will report you. Or, city/county workers, like utility persons that frequent your area that may get a fee for reporting differences in the property. Building inspectors can't be everywhere.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You are probably required to get a permit. Weekend work will help if you don't.

There probably is a requirement that the new windows meet the wind requirements or that you have wind protection on hand when the inspector comes. I was told by a window installer that if you replace less than 25% of your windows that they do not need to meet these requirements. Again you would have to check with the local code compliance.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Did u like florida?
Lived there, Volusia and Palm Beach counties.

Met and married my wife there.

My wife wants a carry all bag that says, "Anyplace but Florida". :yes: But not for geographic reasons. (Relatives...)

Would I go back to live in the state? Probably not. I'm originally from Brooklyn, New York and Florida is considered South New York. But Florida is not my cup of tea.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
You are probably required to get a permit. Weekend work will help if you don't.

There probably is a requirement that the new windows meet the wind requirements or that you have wind protection on hand when the inspector comes. I was told by a window installer that if you replace less than 25% of your windows that they do not need to meet these requirements. Again you would have to check with the local code compliance.
I think that installer was misinformed. Local codes don't care what windows you use, or if they are compliant with any wind protection. They get their permit money and are only concerned if the windows used were installed properly. The building department didn't give a hoot if your previous windows were stretched Saran wrap over the openings, or what you had before changing them out.

Homeowners insurance has specific requirements to allow for wind mitigation for the type of window, or for what's used as protection.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So all your saying is that the building permit guy will just be looking at what type of window I installed, not if I used buck behind the window or not???

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
No, what I said was they are just interested in if the window was installed properly.
Mike,
Would you mind if I rephrased that to,

'they are just interested in if the window was installed according to code.'

Sometimes it is necessary to go better than code to do the installation properly.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
cabinetman said:
I think that installer was misinformed. Local codes don't care what windows you use, or if they are compliant with any wind protection. They get their permit money and are only concerned if the windows used were installed properly. The building department didn't give a hoot if your previous windows were stretched Saran wrap over the openings, or what you had before changing them out.

Homeowners insurance has specific requirements to allow for wind mitigation for the type of window, or for what's used as protection.

Talking out of turn again? My second home is in Florida. Codes do care what window you use. Doors too. All must have a wind rating per the area you live in. Coastal is higher than center of the state. South is higher than north.

You can replace 25% of your windows per year without a permit. If you don't follow codes you may have to comply when you sell.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts