Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions.
1. Does anyone ever put an architrave on a window that does not have a tool/apron and just has regular casing on the bottom?

2. Does anyone ever just use an architrave around doors and skip the windows?

and
3. Does anyone ever take a thicker profile casing and put it upside down on the bottom of the window to act like a window sill extension/stool to rest the side casing on? So, there would be no need to install a stool? Would this be really cheap looking?

Thanks for all your answers

·
Registered
163 Posts
1. I have never seen it, and think it would look odd.

2. Yes this is done fairly commonly. Especially around cased openings.

3. I think this would not look good at all.

Are you dealing with existing casment windows where you are worried about knuckle room on the operating handle?

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a few questions.
1. Does anyone ever put an architrave on a window that does not have a tool/apron and just has regular casing on the bottom?

2. Does anyone ever just use an architrave around doors and skip the windows?

and
3. Does anyone ever take a thicker profile casing and put it upside down on the bottom of the window to act like a window sill extension/stool to rest the side casing on? So, there would be no need to install a stool? Would this be really cheap looking?

Thanks for all your answers
1- I have never seen this or done this myself but I have changed the bottom to a crown, see my pic.
2- Yes I have seen it
3- I have done this by request but did not like the look of it, it made the top look way to heavy.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts