Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a couple window seats for the wife...... Trying to finish them up so I can get in the woods and I have to do an overhaul on a four wheeler so I have to get the shop cleaned up. If I can get a whole day to work on them, they will be done. I'll post a few pics as I go along.

Box joints for some trays to sit inside.

side/end view. Bottom will have oak base mold...

All red oak from our own sawmill...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Nice work in progress! Cool that you mill your own wood. Are the trees from your property? Guess it doesn't really matter cause I jealous either way. Air dried, or do you have your own kiln too. Makes me want to move.

Rotary cut Red Oak veneer ply panels? I can get a deal on some plain sliced, tell me your just a bit envious! J/K (I usually use rotary too, finishing is just a bit more challenging.) Again, looking good, follow up with some finished pics?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work in progress! Cool that you mill your own wood. Are the trees from your property? Guess it doesn't really matter cause I jealous either way. Air dried, or do you have your own kiln too. Makes me want to move.

Rotary cut Red Oak veneer ply panels? I can get a deal on some plain sliced, tell me your just a bit envious! J/K (I usually use rotary too, finishing is just a bit more challenging.) Again, looking good, follow up with some finished pics?
That plywood sucks to work with, cant afford plain sliced. No kiln....been thinking about building one and using my outdoor wood boiler as heat source. Most of our oak is stuff that we drag out of firewood loads and cut some here and there. Amazing what people will cut into firewood....makes me sick.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost done.....just have to put on the hinges. If I could have gotten a whole couple days to work on them, it would have only taken a few days. So far, I have 22.5 hours into both of them. Not bad I think, that includes finishing.

Base mold around the bottom.

Dry run on the lid

Last coat went on this am....

I'll get a few more up of the finished product when I get the inside tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts